Friday, November 13, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #640 Birds of a Feather by Janet S. Tiger Nov. 13, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #640 Birds of a Feather by Janet S. Tiger  Nov. 13, 2015


                              Birds of a Feather
                        (possibly for WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE - Trudy Kallis)
                                           by Janet S. Tiger 
                                     (c) 2015 all rights reserved 
                                       
         (The woman who comes to the podium at the meeting is in her thirties, very short hair, dressed in men's clothing that is universal, not just from the 1970s.  She is strong and almost swaggers.)

I knew I was different ever since I was little.  I mean, I hated dolls.  I used to play with the boys, and they would burn dolls, so I did it, too.  Also, it annoyed my sisters, who liked dolls.  So it had a double value - it made me -\'one of the boys' and it got my sisters steamed!  Now, after coming here to these meetings, maybe I'm sorry I did that, but, what the hell?  I was just a kid, you know?

We lived in the country, so nobody cared that I was a tomboy, but then, when I got to be twelve, thirteen, things changed.  My mother and father insisted I had to ..(imitates)...wear a dress, you're a girl, you hafta to look like a girl!'  I hated dresses.  I have pictures of me in dresses, and I look like an alien or somethin'!

I had to go out with boys, and that was the worst, ya know?  Until I found Ray.  His family moved to our town when he was fourteen, and right away, I knew, like I had radar or somethin', that we were meant for each other.

Not that I liked him like that, but he was.....they used to call it, 'light in the loafers' .....which was the neighborhood way of saying he was a faggot.  But we were great together - he liked boys, and I liked girls!  Birds of a feather.  His big crush was the football coach, and I liked the coach's wife.....birds of a feather!

Everyone could take us as a couple, because that was ...(she uses air quotes) 'normal'.  When he asked me to marry him, I said yes, as long we didn't have to.....you know.  He was horrified at the thought, (laughs remembering, imitating)  'Never! never,never!'  

I didn't want a big wedding - the thought of wearing a big dress made me wanna puke.  So we ran off to get married ....in Las Vegas, very romantic.  We played cards all night.....I won.......

         (She laughs, then bows her head)

I guess, living a lie is easier for women.....we\re used to hiding the truth.  'How do you feel, Mom?'  Okay, baby, just fine.....even when your Mom's back is killing her......"Sis, what's that big bruise on your cheek?' Oh, I hit the cabinet door, clumsy me....'

But Ray, he couldn't take it......he made a pass at the coach, and the coach......well, it wasn't pretty.  I found Ray in the barn......rope around his neck, like a choked chicken......(almost crying)  It was not pretty......I couldn't take living there anymore.....it was too painful....so I came to the big city and found out, that I was not alone!  It was like a miracle......I have a girlfriend, and we've been living together for two years.....but I remember what it was like in that town....small......and I want everybody to be free.....to be who they wanna be......because Ray.....he deserves that.......

          (She raises her fist, blackout)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like this monologue?  
I have a collection for seniors available now -dozens of monologues that are proven successes onstage - from Kennedy Center to Burma. Be a winner in your next audition/showcase/class.

Thanks for supporting the theater - and those who write for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8