Monday, November 2, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #629 Pruning Process by Janet S. Tiger Nov. 2, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #629 Pruning Process by Janet S. Tiger  Nov. 2, 2015

   
                               Pruning Process
                                         
                                           by Janet S. Tiger 
                                     (c) 2015 all rights reserved 
                                                    tigerteam1gmail.com
               
       (The actor enters with a basket of gardening tools.  A tree or plant would be nice for this, but won't be essential.  The gardener sits and starts preparing)

When I was younger, I used to do many active things.  I liked to go dancing, and I loved sports.  Now...I garden. Because I figure it this way - if I drop dead in the middle of this activity, at least I land right where I'm going.  If the others in the family want to make it fancy - a pretty box, ashes and urns, that's their choice.  For me, leave me here in my garden and let the worms do their thing.

       (Looks and does some cutting)

Why do I like to garden?  It's like life as one ages, a classic case of the pruning process.  Oh, yes, when you want, you can plant something new, or dig up a section, but as the bones creak more, I prefer to get proficient at....pruning.  It helps me in  my everyday indoor life .....because aging is just one big pruning.

And I don't mean getting wrinkly!  

No, with age, comes the need to prune.  One's food is the first......it becomes necessary to remove the urge to eat at buffets.  Hard to give up, but when you eat as if there's no tomorrow, there often is...no tomorrow.

So you learn to prune so many activities.  No longer can you touch your toes, let alone put on your shoes!  So, that is pruned to...slippers.  Activities that were easy and fun, like sex, suddenly you need to prune all those fancy moves......until one day, as a dear friend noticed, you will have the last sex of your life, and I just really appreciate him for mentioning this thought!  Way to go, Tom!

      (Sweeping up the cut off parts)

And then, there's the pruning you don't have to do yourself, the kind where the dead parts just fall off the plants.....and your friends fade away.....and you look around and notice all the plants of your youth, have become the mulch of today.  The pruning process.....you could say....it's not only the wrinkles, it's also....the pits!

       (Stands, turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And that is why I garden....I find it so very cheerful!

       (Exits to prune another day)
      
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like this monologue?  
I have a collection for seniors available now -dozens of monologues that are proven successes onstage - from Kennedy Center to Burma. Be a winner in your next audition/showcase/class.

Thanks for supporting the theater - and those who write for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8