Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #637 The Longest Day (for Veteran's Day -revised) by Janet S. Tiger Nov. 10, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #637 The Longest Day (revised) by Janet S. Tiger  Nov. 10, 2015


This was originally posted on Day #272  by Janet S. Tiger  The Longest Day Nov. 11, 2014 
but was first written in 1998 on Veteran's Day  after watching THE LONGEST DAY with my son, updated for today’s monologue.  Thank you to all who serve, and all who wait.                             
                                     The Longest Day                                    
                                     A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   
                                          © all rights reserved                                                                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com  


            (A woman comes out onstage.  She has a flag and she waves it proudly) 

Veteran's Day

I watched a movie with my son

A movie about D-day

And it's different now, than when I was younger

Before, I cried for the young men

And their girlfriends....

Because I knew so many guys in the service
 
Home from Vietnam in those days, the dead were their friends, never to return

But even though I'd never lost a love on foreign shores


I knew soldiers who had.....and my father, his friends......my mother's graduating class where eight never returned.....

There was a transmission of that time.....


I could sense the horror

The waiting for letters

The telegram- the phone call

Like a nightmare come to life

Now it's different, now I have a son

Now when I watched, I cried for all the sons.....

And for their mothers....

I'd never thought of them before

But now....I cried not just for the handsome lads in uniforms but also for all the women who changed their diapers

And wiped their noses
And washed their clothes
And dried their tears

And I prayed for all those

Now in uniform

And for their mothers….and fathers....and siblings and friends......all who love them.....

Because I knew that, until they are home safe

Every day……. is the longest day

----------------------------------------------------------


Like this monologue?  
I have a collection for seniors available now -dozens of monologues that are proven successes onstage - from Kennedy Center to Burma. Be a winner in your next audition/showcase/class.

Thanks for supporting the theater - and those who write for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence

Swedenborg Hall 2006-8