Sunday, January 14, 2018

Monologue Mania Day # 1431 The Detective (for Crime) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Jan. 14, 2018

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
Today is Day # 1431!  To look at the other 1430 titles - click here
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1431 The Detective (for Crime) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Jan. 14, 2018   

Other scenes from Crime - 171, 172,190 ,193, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223,  226, 227, 239, 320, 393, 409, 533, 534, 552, 1425, 1428, 1429 and today's 1431
To purchase one-act version, please click here

                                     THE DETECTIVE
                                                 (for Crime)  
                              (c) Feb. 5, 2012  by Janet S. Tiger  all rights reserved  


(A man comes out onstage.  He is dressed in a simple suit - he looks very unobtrusive.  He is smoking, but puts it out before he speaks.)

I'm a detective.  When my kids were little, they used to ask me why I didn't watch all the shows on TV with detectives on them. Like all the LAW AND ORDER ones, or CSI when it came along.

I would tell them that if I wanted to watch science fiction, I preferred things like STAR TREK or ALIEN - the costumes were more accurate.  You see, I was a kid in the 50s - Dragnet is what I knew, and to be honest, that was closer to the truth than any of the other ones since.  Why do I say that?  Because it was very boring - these guys, in suits like...well,

(He indicates his own suit)

I guess, suits like mine, they did a lot of walking around and there was a lot of dead time in between the excitement.  But it was still a TV show, and they had to do something exciting once a month.  In real life, I have never fired my gun at anyone. I've been lucky.

My first partner, he wasn't so lucky.  He had to kill someone...it was not easy for him afterwards.  Now, it's not like the guy didn't deserve it - he had a hostage and wasn't talking rationally, turned out he was high.  Nobby - that's what we called him 'cause he had such knobby knees - Nobby was a good shot, took the guy down from behind because the negotiators weren't gonna be there for 25 minutes.  He was worried about the old lady - the hostage - so he took the shot.  The old lady came to the hearing - there's always a hearing when a cop shoots someone.  It doesn't happen too often - that's why it's big news.  Anyhow, the old lady came and was crying when she told what happened, and she got off the stand and went and kissed Nobby.  (Smiles, remembering)  But he didn't do well after that - killing someone is easy on TV - because next week, they're alive on another show.

In real life, taking a life is hard.  Nobby retired, took a mental disability deal they offered him.  He died in a car crash a few years later - I always wondered if it wasn't an accident.  You know what I mean?


          (Lights down)
--------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: