Monday, May 1, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1173 Maybe Day(for Senior Channel) by Janet S. Tiger (c) May 1, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1170!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1173 Maybe Day(for Senior Channel) by Janet S. Tiger (c) May 1, 2017            
                                                              
                                  Maybe Day                            
                                               (for the Senior Channel)
                                                    by Janet S. Tiger
                                             © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                 tigerteam1@gmail.com

                   (A woman comes onstage wearing a wreath of flowers on her head.  She has a basket of flowers in her hand and throws them into the crowd.)

Mayday!  mayday!  My father used to love to say that while we watched the parades on May 1st.  Because he had a bad leg from when he was hit by a car., my father couldn't walk with his friends, but he could wave and shout....  (Like a father, loud) 'Mayday!  Mayday!' and then he would explain....(father's voice) 'Mayday means - 'help' .... 'trouble' - and those people need help and make trouble!'

I didn't understand when I was little - I would ask him - if they make trouble, why do we go watch their parades every year?

And he would just smile and say -  'May  is just another way of saying 'Maybe'  - and maybe is a magic word!  It may happen means maybe it will happen, maybe life will get more fair for the workers, for the poor......maybe not right away, but maybe some day.

Maybe is such a powerful word, he would tell me.

Maybe is the leap from 'no' and 'never' and 'can't' and 'won't'  Before you have a yes, you have a maybe.  And that's why maybe is...a magic word!

So that's when I said, 'Can we have a dog?' 

He just laughed and explained that we lived in an apartment, and dogs were not allowed.

I remember thinking for a moment.

               (She stands, like a child, finger in mouth)

(Young)  So, if we moved to a different place, Daddy, MAYBE we could have a dog?

                 (She throws back her head and guffaws)

And he laughed and laughed.

So I said......(as a child)  Maybe?

                 (She is quieter)

He stopped laughing, looked at me very quietly....and said.....the magic word....maybe.

And I held onto that 'maybe' for years - through the horrid place with the neighbors that argued till three in the morning, to the tiny cramped apartment on an alley where the garbage trucks would wake us up every day.  That maybe helped keep me going, until one day, after my father's father passed away, and there was a small inheritance that came to us, and we moved to a neighborhood with lawns, and grass, and...dogs.  The day we moved in, with all the boxes still unpacked on the floor, I asked my father.....(older child)  Dad, how about that dog?

And he looked and said.......May......

I remember how my heart fell, because may always meant 'may..be'

But this time, he said......'You may'......and he smiled.......and the next day, we went to the pound!

You never forget your first love....especially when he wags his tail at you.....

         (She whirls around as if holding a dog in her arms)

And that's the way it is with all of them!  I wrote about my first dog, and won a contest.  That turned me into a writer, and, the books I wrote about dogs allow me to help all the strays I can here on my farm.

Maybe you can help, too...see that big number on the screen. 

                   (She indicates the side of the stage)

The Senior Channel is supporting your local pound so that maybe you can help save an animal today.

                   (She indicates the side of the stage)

Just......maybe......if you can't help today, maybe.... tomorrow......

Make today a 'maybe' day.......

             (She turns and walks off. Maybe.... the end of this monologue!)
----------------------------------------------

Maybe if this monologue inspired you to help an animal find a home, please check out - https://sdhumane.org/  or http://www.petyourdog.com/dog_shelter/aruba_island_puppies/18586

first posted on May 3, 2014 Day #80    Maybe Day 
----------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: