Monday, October 19, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #615 Trevor (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger Oct. 19, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #615 Trevor (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger  Oct. 19, 2015
                                     
      For other work from Seeds of Doubt, see Days #  598, 599,  600, 603, 604, 608, 611 and today's 615

                                 Trevor
                            (for Seeds of Doubt)
                                        a monologue by Janet S. Tiger
                                           © all rights reserved
                                           tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (Trevor is in his teens, a big guy, seems older.  He has a military bearing, the child of a Navy lifer.  He knocks at the door, and Big Grandma comes slowly to answer.)

TREVOR - Hi....I'm here to pick up Ly.....

BG - Ly not here....I tell her you come.....

TREVOR - My name is Trevor....

BG-  Trey vanh.....I know, she talk about you....

TREVOR -  (Happy) Really?

BG-  Say you father in Navy....

TREVOR -  That's right......he was in thirty-five years.....and his dad before him....

BG -  Good for them.....I tell her you come....

         (She goes to close door, he won't leave)

TREVOR -  If it's ok, can I please wait inside......

         (She looks at him)

BG - She not home for while....

TREVOR - I don't mind waiting, I'll be quiet, just sit here on the couch.....I can wait....

         (She sizes him up, looks outside, nods)

BG -  Okay......you wait here......

         (She goes out towards the kitchen)

BG - I get you something to eat.....boy always like cookies....

TREVOR -  It's okay, you don't have to go to any trouble for me....

BG - No trouble, you can pay for cookies.....

TREVOR -  uh.....

BG -  I make joke, no pay for cookies in house, you guest, guest no pay ......

         (He looks around while he waits, goes to couch when he sees her coming)

TREVOR -  Thank you.

BG - Here some boba, too.....you big boy, need lotta food to keep going.

TREVOR -  Thank you....

BG - You welcome.

          (He takes the cookies and drink.  What happens next will have two conversations - the one between the two of them that they both hear, while we hear their thoughts on the side)

TREVOR -  (To the audience)  That was a joke.  At least, I'm pretty sure it was.....Should I offer to pay?  I wish I could speak their langugage.... (to BG)  These are my favorite.....

BG -  (To Trevor) I know.  I see you at bakery.  (To audience)  He eat lotta cookies, sell lotta cookies, Not bad boy, just big.  Ly is so little, two of them funny looking couple.  But I see lotta that....why don't he learn Vietnamese, much easier for everyone.....

TREVOR -  So, did you learn to bake in Vietnam, before the war?

BG -  Yeah, my mother and father have three bakeries in Saigon......I start in kitchen when I was baby....

         (She now pantomimes learning to bake, Trevor watches and nods, then stands, talks to the audience)

TREVOR -  I wish my father wasn't such a bigot....I think he'd like Ly's family.  I don't know how I'm gonna convince him what nice people they are.  He was just a kid when he was there, and it was a bad time, and my grandfather hates Japanese people.....I mean I understand why they hate, but this is now, and Ly is....she's so beautiful.  Sometimes, when I see her, I get dizzy. The first time I ever saw her, was when I transferred here, and I sat next to her in math class, and she was so bad at algebra, but no matter what, she wouldn't cheat.

I saw the other girls, and they would be friendly with guys, just to look at the test, but not Ly.  So I offered to help tutor her, and at first, she said no, but she was failing, and I told her we couldwork at the library....and she said...(he glows remembering)....yes....

BG -  You like story?  You like story or you just like story because it about cookies?

TREVOR - (Back to reality)  Yes...I mean, yes, I like the story, and I like cookies.....

BG -  (She knows the answer but asks anyhow)  What you do with all the cookies you buy?  If you eat, you be fat, and you not fat.....

TREVOR -  Well, I know a lot of older people in this neighborhood because I used to work at the market, but then I figured I could deliver cookies.....and other things people need......and make a little money.....

          (He explains using his hands, walking around, showing how he got the business to grow.  Big Grandma listens and nods, but turns to the audience)

BG -  I know whole story,  Not understand most of words he says......but I know whole story.  Same story in every language.  He like Ly, and no matter what they think, it not gonna be easy.  Maybe he good boy, marry her, do right.....hard to know......young people think love is just for them, for their time, that love will solve all problem.....not listen to wisdom of older ones......

TREVOR - And everyone loves your cookies!

       (She hears him and turns and nods, smiles.  They hear a key in the door and Ly enters.  When they see each other there is an instant connection, then Ly lowers her eyes)

LY -  Oh, I didn't realize how late it was!

TREVOR -  It's ok, I was just talking with your grandmother.....

         (Ly and Trevor whisper together about studying and BG watches them as lights dim)

BG - (To audience)  I knew it....I know whole story......

          (She shudders and shakes head as lights dim.  End of scene)
       

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



No comments: