Friday, October 9, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #604 Seeds of Doubt (Watermelon) by Janet S. Tiger Oct. 8, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #604 Seeds of Doubt (Watermelon) by Janet S. Tiger  Oct. 8, 2015
                                       
                                             Watermelon
                                          (for Seeds of Doubt)                                           
                                        a monologue by Janet S. Tiger
                                           © all rights reserved
                                           tigerteam1@gmail.com
  
           (We see the daughter of the older woman in #600 and 603 - she is also the grandmother of the children in Days # 599 and 598.  She is more Americanized than her mother, but still with a strong Asian accent.  She is looking at the ground, picking up small objects as she walks, putting them into a bag, shaking her head in disgust)

You're my friend, and you know we come to this country many years ago, I think we met that first year! And even though I have lived here for a long time, I don't think I will ever understand how much is wasted.......look at this!

       (She holds up the bag and shakes the contents)

Seeds!  Watermelon seeds!  Perfectly good seeds!  Lots of life in them!  And these people spit out all this life!  How can they do it?

       (She leans over and picks up more)

And they have a contest!  I cannot believe it, but they have a contest to see who can spit the seeds the furthest!  And they give the winner a prize!  For wasting perfectly good seeds!  When I was a girl, if you thought of something like this, everyone would laugh at you......did I say that?  When I was a girl, my children always laugh at me when I say that......

       (She is quieter, remembering)

When I was a girl, I wasn't a girl for long.....I must have told you this story already......but maybe I remember now because of the seeds......we were about to leave, to escape....and my mother tells me to take the seeds from a special plant.....and hide them.  To keep them safe......so I do......and on the boat.....(she shudders)....a boat made for maybe 40 people, there were two hundred......and we were at sea for weeks.......and the pirates......I don't know why people like pirates so much.....if they met the pirates I met.....they wouldn't like pirates......

        (As she tells this story, we can hear a sea wind blowing, and the outlines of the buildings can become the sails on this boat, sails that are flapping wildly)

We knew it would be bad when we saw their ship, and I tried to hide with my children.....but there was no place to hide....

They came all over the boat, looking for anything of value, gold, diamonds......money.....I had the seeds in my shoes......and the pirate found them and he was angry at first, then he saw how scared I was, holding the babies, shaking.......and he said, 'seeds, you think these have any value? ' and he threw them over the side of the ship......

My mother started to cry and he saw how much the seeds meant to her....she could tell his heart was moved, and she got the courage to ask him for some water.....and diapers for the babies.......He laughed again and said....'diapers?  you think we have diapers for your babies?'

They all laughed, but he got some water for us.....and when they left the ship, we shared the water with our friends.......and my mother .........

        (We see her mother on the side of the boat, reaching into a pocket)

.......my mother took out from her pocket,.... more seeds.......I was furious, I said to her, why didn't you tell me you had more seeds?

And she said.....

I also didn't tell you that I put our gold in the babies diapers!

        (They laugh and the woman shakes the bag of seeds)

And those dirty diapers  helped us get here, and helped us start over.......so maybe these seeds will help the church start over now......maybe if we add a little gold, too......

         (She goes to her mother as lights down.  End of scene)





--------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



No comments: