Thursday, October 22, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #618 The Boat (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger Oct. 22, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #618 The Boat (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger  Oct. 22, 2015
                                     
      For other work from Seeds of Doubt, see Days #  598, 599,  600, 603, 604, 608, 611, 615  and today's 618
Not sure where this will go, but probably in act 2.                               The Boat
                            (for Seeds of Doubt)
                                        a monologue by Janet S. Tiger
                                           © all rights reserved
                                           tigerteam1@gmail.com

     

           (Big Grandma is watching her daughter, claps hands together)

BG - Time for no more lies.  Time to tell her end of story on boat.  Can't wait until too much time, I be dead and no one else will know truth.

LY -  What story grandma?  What is she talking about?

           (Kim is quiet, then comes forward and waves her hand.  The outline of the boat slowly appears throughout the next)

KIM -  The lady who is beautiful on the ship.....the one who die, she is not a stranger to me....she was...my best friend.

LY -  (Amazed)  You knew her?

KIM -  We were girls together in Saigon.  Become friends in school, grow up together, she work in bakery, we make cookies....we giggle like girls do..... our husbands were friends, too, we meet them during war......war horrible, but always exciting, never know what going to happen next.  Like living in fast movie, only....real.

But then Saigon fall, we get separated, she on one farm, we end up on another farm, but when we escape, we on same boat!  Miracle!  We gonna start life together in new country!  Great things!  Only good.....(she has to hold herself together)...then pirates.....never understand how American like pirate so much......

         (She turns away and Ly goes to her, puts a hand on her arm)

LY - I got it grandma, to lose a friend, a best friend.....it's gotta hurt worse than a stranger dying.....

BG - Not end of story......go on!

KIM -  I lie when I say friend beautiful because she have no babies.....she did have baby.....on the boat, we talk about how our babies going to grow up free....in America.......but .....boat not easy on babies......babies get sick......boat take babies away.....

        (She cries, but pulls herself together, turns to Ly)

KIM -  Take away my babies....my two babies......

LY -  (Can't believe it)  Oh, my God!

KIM -  Take away my best friend......but not her baby.....I keep her baby because my babies die......her baby...was your mother.....

          (Ly is stunned, pulls away, looks at BG and Kim)

LY -  (Horrified)  What are you telling me?  That my mother was.....

BG - She shoulda told you before.....you look like just like your grandma...beautiful just like her....

LY -  So we're....we're just.....what?  You're not my grandmother?  You're not my big grandma?

BG -  Course I am!  I always be!  Blood just red, love is all color, love you like my blood......always...
        (to Kim)  This is why lies bad!  Not good to wait to tell truth!  Truth is like cookies!  Bake too long, get too crispy, not good flavor - people don't like old truth......

LY -  Why didn't you tell me....(thinks)....did my mother know?

KIM -  She die before I could tell her......so I guess she know now.....what the difference?

LY -  What's the difference?  What's the difference?  I mean....why didn't you tell?

KIM -  (Getting annoyed) Who we tell?  People in camp in Philippines?  Say your mother is orphan? Have her adopted by strangers?  I lose two babies.......one of my babies was a girl so ....I have papers for baby girl.......your mother..... become that baby....much easier......safer......how could I give up my friend baby to stranger?  You tell me!

LY -  Okay, I got that....but it was....how many years?  Forty?  In forty years you couldn't tell...anyone?

KIM -  Your mother and father were killed when you were a baby, I thought there was a curse or something.....who I tell then?  Government?  Say, oh, this baby not my granddaughter?  Have them take you away, go to stranger?

LY -  (Very angry)  Maybe it would have better than all the lies!

         (BG slaps Ly and she jumps back)

BG - Never say that!  Your grandma bring you up, you know she love you!  I love you!

          (BG turns to Kim and slaps her)

BG -  And you, told you not to wait so long to tell truth!  One of you say too much, other say not enough......nobody perfect......just like all family!

         (She takes both hands and slaps herself)

BG -  Now everyone even, stop fighting!

         (In spite of herself, Ly laughs and Kim too, they huddle together laughing as lights dim.  There is a faraway sound of a fire engine as a red light is seen in the sky.  End of scene)



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8


No comments: