Thursday, June 29, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1232 It's Good to Hear Your Voice (scene two) by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 29, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1220!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1232 It's Good to Hear Your Voice by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 29, 2017 
          
The first scene is below.


                                       It's Good to Hear Your Voice
                                                    (scene two) by Janet S. Tiger 
                                                     (c) all rights reserved (c) 2017
                                                         tigerteam1@gmail.com


           (A table with two chairs.  Amy, in her 50s, is reading a book, making some notes as Laura rushes in, with shopping bags.  They hug)

LAURA -  I'm so sorry!  Everything took so much time!  Can you forgive me?

AMY -  Never!

LAURA -  Good!  Then I won't have to ask again!

AMY -  It's so good to see you!

LAURA -  Are we really doing this?  I mean, how long did it take for us to get together this time?

AMY -  Only two years, I think.....thank God for the telephone!

LAURA -  And I just got this newfangled thing....take a look!

          (She brings out an original cellphone, very large and Amy looks in awe)

AMY -  Don't those cost, like, a million dollars?

LAURA -  Two million- but it's worth every penny.....this way, the nurse who's with my Mom can call me anytime...

AMY -  That sounds like a good thing, but is it?

LAURA -  You'll see..... in a few years everyone will have one!

AMY -  Didn't they say that about the Edsel?

            (They laugh and Laura looks at Amy)

LAURA -  You look wonderful......it's so good to see you!

AMY -  You look great, too....

LAURA -  That proves it.....

AMY -  Proves what?

LAURA -  That you're either a liar....

            (Amy shakes her head, laughing)

LAURA -  Or you need glasses!

AMY -  (Less convincing) You do look good!            (Laura gives her a look)

AMY -  Okay, maybe a little tired.....

LAURA -  A little?  I think my Mom's losing it....

AMY -  What do you mean?

LAURA -  You know what I mean......there's been a few clues along the way....

AMY -  Everyone starts forgetting things as they get older....

LAURA -  Like a movie you saw...last week?   Like wearing a blouse? In public?   No, this is not going to end well, my friend...

AMY -  I'm sorry, I always liked your Mom...

LAURA -  Me, too.

AMY -  She made the best brownies!

LAURA -  Not anymore.....she forgets how much sugar to put in, how to use the mixer, hell, she forgets to turn off the oven......   

           (Amy reaches over to put a hand on her arm)

LAURA - It's like....I dunno, like a Polaroid, in reverse...... rather than fading in, more like, fading out.....

AMY -  Whoa....that's tough.

LAURA -  And my brothers are out of town, I mean they send money to help, which is nice, but...

AMY -  But it's all on your shoulders....

LAURA -  Yup......and I guess, well, I can tell you.....a lot of things bother me about this, the being tired, the worry if she's gonnna wonder off, like a child, but not as cute.....but the worst thing is......what if it's contagious?  I mean, what if....I get it?

AMY -  I don't think this is contagious, but here's a promise, if you ever start wondering off......or going out in public without pants.......even if you're not by a phone!......I'll still call every day....

LAURA -  Thanks, Amy, I needed that....

AMY -  What it really looks like is that you need a drink, where is a waiter, anyhow?  I told him you'd be here soon!

           (Looking around)

LAURA -  We'll have to send up a flare, don't you know?  He didn't even see me come in and sit down!  Because, in the last couple of years, I'm sorry to say it, but.....we've become invisible!

AMY -  You're crazy!

LAURA -  No, not really.  And it gets worse, but.....what holds me together is another odd thought from Gerry....Geraldine...you remember her?

AMY/LAURA (Together)-  Geraldine......the bully!

AMY -  So did she have a revelation?

LAURA -  She told about talking with an older friend.... about getting older of course, and the friend said....don't complain....in fifteen years, you'll be begging to get this face back!

          (The two laugh)

AMY -  Terrible!  

LAURA -  But true, which of course is why it's so terrible......

AMY -  Wait, there's the waiter.....

          (As she waves futilely at the waiter, a beeping noise comes out of the cell phone.  Laura answers)

LAURA -  Yes, yes, it's me, Laura, Mrs. Danforth.....I can hear you just fine.  Yes, aren't these modern contraptions just wonderful.  ....yes...yes......(sighs heavily)...okay, I'll be there in 15 minutes.....if you think you have to, call 911.......

           (Amy watches, then hugs her friend)

LAURA -  I'm sorry!  If I hadn't been late, at least we might've had a drink together....

AMY -  Don't even think about it.....

           (As Laura gets up and collects the bags, Amy helps)

AMY -  I'll walk you to your car....

LAURA -  (starts laughing)

AMY -  What's so funny about that?

LAURA -  If I can remember where I parked!

          (They exit laughing)
----------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted  Day # 1220  June 17, 2017
     
                                       It's Good to Hear Your Voice 
                                                                            
                                        (not)  a monologue by Janet S. Tiger 
                                                     (c) all rights reserved (c) 2017
                                                         tigerteam1@gmail.com


         (This has two actors, both in their 70s.  Laura is sitting, reading, when Amy enters.)

AMY -  Laura?  It's me, Amy.

         (Laura  puts down the book and looks at Amy, not recognizing her)

LAURA -  Hello.  Are you the new nurse?

AMY -  It's Amy, and I have a new idea for this week.......

LAURA -  Is it lunchtime?  I think I'm hungry.

AMY -  I believe lunch is over for today.  We speak every day, Laura, and on the phone, you seem to remember my voice.....so that's why I brought you this....

          (She hands Laura a phone, Laura looks at it, shakes her head)

LAURA -  I can't use one of these, they call it a smart phone, but I'm not so smart anymore....

AMY -  That's OK, if you hold it and turn this way.....

            (She puts the phone to Laura's ear, and turns her away from Amy, as they speak, Amy stays away from Laura's field of vision)

AMY-  Ring, ring

LAURA -  Hello?

AMY -  Hi, Laura, it's me, Amy....

LAURA -  Hi, Amy, good to hear your voice!

AMY -  Good to hear your voice, how are you today?

LAURA -  Not too bad, I'm reading a good book.

AMY  - Do you remember the name?

LAURA - Rebecca  - I think I might have read it before, but it doesn't matter, I don't remember the end.  Actually, I don't remember most of it.  Did you ever read it?

AMY -  Yes, I did.  It's good.

LAURA -  How are you doing?  How're the kids?

AMY -  Jesse's fine and the new grand baby's getting through the night...

LAURA -  That's a blessing!  My kids are around here somewhere.....but now that they're teenagers, I just worry about them coming home at night!

AMY -  (Sighs)  That can be a problem.....

LAURA -  Hey, I got a letter the other day, from that girl we knew back in 6th grade, you know the bully?

AMY -  Geraldine?

LAURA -  That was it!  Oh, was she mean!

AMY -  Remember how she used to torment you?

LAURA -  You had to go home early, and she would wait until you left, and then she would get her friends and they would surround me..... and they would stamp their feet and sometimes even pull my hair!  And then one day....

AMY -  You couldn't take it any more.....

LAURA -  And I started punching her, hard!

AMY -  Right in the stomach...

LAURA -  Right in the stomach!  And she just fell over and the other girls got scared and called for a teacher, and Geraldine had to go to the hospital!  It was one of the best days of my life!

AMY -  And then....

LAURA -  Then she wanted to be friends!  And you didn't want to be friends, but after awhile, you saw she wasn't so bad, and we stayed friends until now.....except, she doesn't call me anymore, like you call, every day.....

AMY -  She doesn't call because she died three years ago, Laura....a massive heart attack on her 75th birthday.  What a present!

LAURA -  Oh, I forgot that part.  I like to forget the unpleasant things....

AMY -  That's the best way.....

       (Laura suddenly turns to see Amy and is surprised)

LAURA -  Oops, I can't talk anymore, there's someone here.  Someone is always coming in to check on me, it drives me crazy!  We can talk more tomorrow, bye!

        (Laura looks at the phone, puts it down, looks at Amy)

LAURA -  Who are you?  Is it time for lunch?

AMY -  Lunch is over, but I thought maybe you'd like to take a walk.

LAURA -  That sounds like a good idea.

       (Amy takes Laura's elbow and they head out)

LAURA -  Are you new here?

AMY -  Yes, I am.  Every time......

LAURA -  You'll like it, the people are nice, and the food is very good.  It's almost time for lunch you know....

AMY -  What would you like?

LAURA -  A new book, I think I've read this one before......

       (Laura turns to exit, but Amy runs back to get the phone)

LAURA -  Oh, don't forget that!  My friend will be calling any minute now.  She calls me every day, we went to school together, her name is.....what is her name?

AMY -  Amy, her name is Amy.

LAURA -  You're right!  How did you know?

AMY  -  Because my name is Amy.

LAURA -  What a coincidence!  Her name is Amy, too.  We went to school together when we were younger.....

AMY -  Laura, what if I told you that....I was Amy.....

LAURA -  (Laughs)  You're so funny!  I know I get confused, but you're not Amy!  

AMY - How do you know?

LAURA -  It's simple - Amy is much younger!

AMY -  And how old is that?

LAURA -  Oh, that's tough, 26, 27?  Same as me! It's so wonderful to have a friend you've known since you were little......

AMY -  Yes, I know.......it is a gift......

         (Lights dim as the exit.)

No comments: