Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1217 Heart Beets by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 14, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1200!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1217 Heart Beets by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 14, 2017  
  
                                                          Heart Beets                                   
                                              a monologue by Janet S. Tiger 
                                                     (c) all rights reserved (c) 2017
                                                         tigerteam1@gmail.com

        (Woman in her 50s enters with a stethoscope and a can of beets)

My mother loved beets.  She said her ma had taught her to use beets for everything.....to drink, to eat, to use as garnish at a fancy table like Thanksgiving!....even to dye clothing.

And it turns out, eating beets is healthy.  Who knew?

       (She lifts the can high)

But I loved how she would pick up the can and say, 'Well, that beets all!'  And she would laugh!  That was the first joke we heard, and I think all us kids liked puns for that reason.

       (She takes the can and sets it down, then sighs heavily)

Heart beat.  Thump, thump, thump.  You never forget the first time you hear your baby's hearbeat.

Or the last.  When they disconnect the pumps and the tubes, and all the goodies that are keeping your child alive.......I was lucky.  My father had it into us that we needed to donate his body parts, and we did, and it was a blessing, so when I got the call about my baby, who was 38, but always my baby......I knew I had to do the same thing.

He was a good boy.  Died in a car accident, hit by a drunk.  On Flag Day, June 14th, and when they buried him, they had the flag from his unit in Iraq across the coffin.  But the coffin was empty.  Not completely, just his heart......it was in another man's chest.

And today, on the anniversary of his death, I got a present from the man who received my son's heart.

(Deep breath)  He came to visit, and with these.....

         (She lifts the stethoscope)

I got to listen.....to my baby's heart....still beating.......

It was a gift I will never forget......

        (She turns to go, stops, lifts the can of beets)

They said his heart was in great shape.....must've been all the beets!

        (She smiles as she leaves)

----------------------------------------
Based on a true story - http://www.today.com/health/organ-donation-mom-hears-son-s-heartbeat-again-t112270
--------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

So sweet and "heart"-warming!