Thursday, September 28, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1323 Face-Off by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 28, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1320!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1323 Face-Off by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 28, 2017    

                                                          Face-Off
                                          by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved     
                                                            tigerteam1@gmail.com   
       
       (Woman enters, she is well-dressed, but has on old dirty sneakers.  I hear a Spanish accent, but it can be slight)

Thank you, it is not easy to look nice right now, but I see you notice my shoes.  Not so nice.
But they are very necessary now, when I go through the mess.....with everything else, I cannot afford to get hurt now.  You see, our hospital was damaged, too, in the earthquake.  They put up tents, and very brave people go in to get out the supplies, but....that is what happens.

      (She indicates her face)

My make-up?  Yes, I always carry it with me, as long as I have a mirror and light, I can fix up my face.  Some of the people here, they do not care any more.  That is not good.

We have to have our face on, like armor to protect us.

It is all we have left.

Especially when......(sighs)  especially when the face of our house is gone.  It was dark, and we felt the bed shaking, and it sounded as if the earth was crying out, then screaming.....my husband says we need to go into the street, so we go, and we watch.....

My house, we built it when no others were around.  Three stories I wanted.  So I could see everything.  Then the other houses were built, so all I got to see then, were other houses!

But no more.  A lot of those houses...(sighs, closes eyes)....my house.....done.  Too expensive to repair, too expensive to make safe from the earthquakes.

They come around to help us, from the government, they say it is not safe.  Everyone can see it is not safe!  Who needs the government to tell us?

But no one notices, your house is like the face you put on to the world.  Maybe inside, it is not perfect, perhaps there are problems with the color of the paint, or maybe you don't like the sofa, but outside, you make sure it looks nice. 

And when that is gone.....what do you do?  It's just a house..... the earthquake - or the hurricane - or the fire - nature doesn't care about what things look like.....

We are lucky, we were not hurt, others died, others had family die and the house gone, too.

We are lucky, we have friends we stay with, but for how long?

So I take my face, and make it up to look happy, but.....it is not easy, when your face is off.....

       (She exits but the work is not done - This is for all those affected by the recent hurricanes and earthquakes - to help, there are several organizations which are supporting these people - please consider aiding them.  For a good starting point click here)
------------------------------------ 
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: