Sunday, September 24, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1319 The Chemistry of Truth (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 24, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1300!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1319 The Chemistry of Truth (for Seeds of Doubt) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 24, 2017    

 For other work from Seeds of Doubt, see Days #  598, 599,  600, 603, 604, 608, 611, 615, 618, 619, 621, 622, 653 and today, 1319

This might be close to, if not the end of the play, but it's still half-baked!

                                            The Chemistry of Truth                                                                                     by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved     
                                                            tigerteam1@gmail.com   
       (Ly comes out to the front of the stage, she is holding a cookie)

One thing about life, people can compare it to anything......life is like a hurricane, life is like a camera, life is like.....a cookie.....

It takes time to bake it, but only a moment to drop it....to break it.....to smash it......to eat it....to leave over the crumbs.....

You might have guessed already......I hated the bakery.  I hated working there...the ovens, the heat....the people!...I hated it all.....until Trevor.  I hated math....until Trevor.  And then, all of a sudden, something happened.

      (She looks at the cookie differently)

Trevor explained to me how math and the bakery were connected.  He was taking chemistry, and he showed me how chemistry made all the cookies happen.  It was as if I'd been walking around with a blindfold and someone took it off and I saw the sun for the first time!

You see, I hated the bakery mostly because .....of the customers.  But I loved experimenting with all the cookies.  And the pastries, and how to make them taste better, with less cost.  That was me.  And that was chemistry.

I took the Chemistry class as soon as I could, over the summer, and it was the best summer of my life!  I had Trevor, and all the equations suddenly made sense.  I still had some trouble with algebra, but I didn't mind it as much, because it was like chemistry's ugly cousin, so, since I loved chemistry, I had to get along with algebra!

It all is about the numbers!  At 212 degrees Fahrenheit, the water in the dough turns into steam.  The vapors push through the dough, and the cookie starts to rise. The baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3 starts to break down into carbon dioxide gas which makes the cookie continue to rise!

Every dry element must go in the right order!  Because they all compete for the water!
If you put in too much salt - NaCl, these reactions are affected!  Not just the taste, but the actual physical structure is changed!  It was....(sighs) ....amazing!

And I started looking at how we did everything in these processes, and my grandma and Big G, they argued a little, but anything that saved money or made money, well, that was OK by them.

And they even started to like Trevor.....(giggles, a little embarrassed)....I heard them talk about chemistry, but they were not talking about the cookies....

         (She puts on a lab coat, glasses)

I used the insurance money we got and went to college, into forensic chemistry, and now work in the coroner's office.

The chemistry changed my life....it also proved to me how the bakery burned down, and who did it.

       (Lights go up on the skyline of the bakery, and we hear hammering, see Kim and  Big G watching)

KIM -   It never gonna be finished ....not before I die....

BG -  Before you die?  What about me?  You got no patience....everyone waiting for us to open up!  ...here, plant the seeds so we can have special cookies.....

        (The two exit, as Ly watches her brother come out and nod to her.)

LY - So here's the story of my family, and the bakery.  As you sit there,  or maybe when you get home, you might be thinking, something's missing, something didn't make sense.

Which story is the right one?  The true one?  Fire is also a chemical reaction......so... Is the question -Does the bakery get rebuilt?   Or...maybe..... what happened to the person who burned it down?  

        (Her brother takes his gun and puts it on the floor, exits)

Ly - Sometimes, it takes years to find out the truth, and then when you do, you realize, it was there all the time......The seeds of doubt, the seeds of truth.....all in the same plant......

       (As the lights dim, we see the sails of the ship and the bakery come together.  Lights dim.  Blackout.  The end)





------------------------------------ 
More info -
Chemistry of baking
Chemistry of fire
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: