Saturday, September 23, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1318 Good Enough For You by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 23, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1300!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1318 Good Enough For You by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 23, 2017                                                 
                               Good Enough For You                                                         
                              by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved     
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com   
           (This is the mother from Good Enough Day # 1317)
       
Amazing.  I have a degree in communication, but I suppose I missed out on one of the basic ideas - make yourself understood.

You, my dear daughter, do not understand anything I have said for ...how long?

All right, in anger, perhaps I told you things, like all mothers do!...that are not the wisest.  Have you been so perfect with your daughter?  Have you said everything just right?  With all the psychology you took, did you never yell, never complain, never get so tired that you couldn't hold in all your annoyance and you just....lost it?  If the answer is no, well, God bless you, you are the first perfect mother I ever met!  Mine certainly wasn't!  You remember grandma only from the perspective of a two year old, a lovely old person who kissed you and gave you candy when I wasn't looking!

A grandma who was dead before you could understand what she said-  and she was not perfect, either.  I can well attest to that fact.

No, if I erred, it was to let you know that, if you wanted to be the star, you would have to accept reality - which is something young people rarely want to do.  I didn't want you destroyed by attempting to become a marathon champion if you only had one leg!

So sue me.  I mean, you can sue me or give it a break

I love you.  That is one thing I hope you know.  Does this man love you?

       (Waves her hand)

I know he has a name!  But right now, in my book, his name is mud, so let's just call him...this man.  Does he really love you?  I mean, have either one of you actually thought this through?  How is this supposed to work?  He plans to date other women for a year.....while LIVING WITH YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTER, but then, if he hasn't found .....hoooh, this is hard to say.....if he hasn't found someone...better....then, only then, will he marry you.

Amazing.  I am tempted to have you go to a lawyer, but how would this be done?

He gets to go out once a week, and then he comes back to you and gives you a review?  (As the man(  'Ok, honey, this one is nice, but you're better....so I guess, you're still in the running!'

Can you hear how that sounds?  Maybe you can't.  I'm sorry that you think I think you are not pretty enough or talented enough, because that is far from the truth.  But it's your life and your feelings, and I am not going to give you a blessing for marrying this man.

        (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

Because it's not you I'm worried about...I don't think HE is good enough for you!

        (Lights down.  End of scene)

------------------------------------ 

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8