Thursday, September 21, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1316 Who is That ? by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 21, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1300!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1316 Who is That? by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 21, 2017                                                                             
                                Who is That?                                                              
                              by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved     
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com   
    (Young woman enters, looks at audience as if they are a mirror.  She examines her face closely)

That pimple is much smaller....I think.  Maybe they have some device to measure pimples.....

 Or, maybe I don't want to know.  

I mean, I'm sure Jody didn't notice, all he does is look at my boobs.  I don't even know why I bother with my face anyhow.....

        (She pokes at the spot)

Everyone tells me the concealer works fine, but why do I see it?

        (Something beeps on her watch)

Oh, boy, why do they waste all my time on these stupid classes!

         (Takes one last look)

It'll be fine tomorrow....I'm sure I'll look ok tomorrow.....

        (She exits and returns with a jacket and purse, much more mature now.  Stares at the mirror)

I can do it.  I know I can.  This is only the most important presentation in two years.  And I am going to ace it......I look fine....I do....

         (She looks closer)

Is that.....a wrinkle?  No way!  (Examines)  How can that be?  It must be my imagination.....

         (Really peering now)

I'm too young for wrinkles!  

This is a young person's game!  I can't go in there with a wrinkle!    Maybe something will cover it up...

        (She searches in her purse)

Come on, I know I bought some of that stuff....just in case.....insurance....for looking bad after a tiny little bit too much to drink......

       (Shakes purse)

What am I going to do?  Wait,  I could cover my face with my hand....

       (She practices)

There, that looks really natural....not!

        (Buries her face in her hands)

I knew this would happen!  Today is the 13th!  Never a good omen!  Wait a minute.....

        (Looks at phone)

Okay, it's the 12th, I knew that......ok, deep breath, stand up straight.....

         (She stands up tall)

If I don't smile, I think that works!

         (She keeps looking at herself as she exits)

All I have to do is get some sleep tonight....that's all....  But tomorrow, it'll be fine!

         (She exits, and makes a circle, enters from the other side, now wearing a bathrobe, bent over a bit, yawning, stretching but not too loudly.  Looks in mirror.)

Who is that?  Mom?  Is that you?

          (She looks around)

Half asleep, I'm half asleep......She lives two hundred miles away....for now....I think.....hoo boy, what is happening?  Now, let me wash my face....I'm sure that will help...

        (She splashes water and dries off)

There, much better.....

         (Looks again)

Well, maybe not......

         (Sighs heavily, turns to leave)

Tomorrow it will be better, I'll look like myself.....tomorrow....at Tara.....

          (Laughs as she exits, comes back, bent over, with an old bathrobe, shuffling, looks and jumps back)

 Who the hell is that?  They're letting in all kinds of trash into this place!

           (She turns and then takes one last look)

At least that woman didn't have any pimples......

            (She shuffles off.....)

------------------------------------ 

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8