Monday, August 24, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #558 Bird Tea (for Book of Teas) by Janet S. Tiger Aug. 24, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #558 by Janet S. Tiger  Aug. 24, 2015

    This is the same character from Days # 15, 41-53, 69, 84, 96, 105, 118, 156, 173, 175-8, 181-5, 269, 331, 361, 452, 506,542, 554, 555.  Southern accent.

                                    Bird Tea
                                                  (for Book of Teas) 
                                       A monologue by Janet S. Tiger
                                             © 2015 all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com


       (Lights up on T, carrying in some items to put onto a bed.  She still has that Southern accent)

Superstition is funny - especially other people's superstitions
When my cousins moved into their new house, my mama brought us over to wish them well.
It was a big house, and the doors and windows were all open wide so that the new paint smell would be dissipated - yes I think that has two 's's, but does it matter Ella?  Just listen!
Anyhow, we were in the livin room, and we were marveling at how big everything was, and how new, when a bird flew in.

We children commenced to chasing that bird, and we laughed, but I noticed my mother became very quiet.
My aunt - that was Thelma, on my father's side - Thelma was also quiet, and it was a little strange.

Then my mama said to Thelma, don't worry, honey, it's just an old wives tale.

And Thelma laughed what I would come to know as .....a hollow laugh.


What's wrong Momma?
Nothin, T, just go and play outside.

But....

I'll tell you later, dear, she whispered to me, and as we left, mama took me aside and told me that it was bad luck when a bird flew into a house you were just moving into.

Why?  I asked, Her response, clever as all adults are, was simple - 'Because it just is, you'll see.
Well,just like I watched for a tree to grow out of my ears when I swallowed a pit, I watched to see if my cousins luck had completely disappeared.
Whenever something bad happened- like when cousin Travis caught the whooping cough and almost died, my mama would shake her head and I could hear her mutter under her breath, 'damn bird'
But I thought about it and asked her, what  if he had died, wouldn't that have been the bad luck?  Since he lived, maybe the bird brought good luck.

She would just sigh and shake her head in that incredibly annoying way parents do when children can never understand.

But as I got older, I thought about that bird.  Of course it was bad luck -for the bird.  Because cousin Travis took out a slingshot and hit the poor thing with a stone, which killed it instantly, falling to the newly washed floor with a thud I never have forgotten.

From that point on I figured that superstitions are just that - super.  Like superman, and superboy........inventions of people with nothing better to do.


    (She turns to leave, stops looks back)
So, my dear grandchild, if you want to live your life in the world of superstition.....maybe you better jump into one of those comic books you read when you were a little kid.  The ones you saved under your bed so you wouldn't have to be afraid.......the ones that are still there.....old and smelly, and chewed up by the silverfish.....

      (Blackout.  End of scene)
--------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



No comments: