Sunday, August 9, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #543 What Does it Mean to Be Gay? by Janet S. Tiger Aug. 9, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com


 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #543What Does it Mean to Be Gay by Janet S. Tiger  Aug. 9, 2015

                                                What Does It Mean?
                            
                                                          (for The Senior Channel)
                                     A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com


          (The actor enters, perhaps a bit hesitant, comes to the center of the stage and peers out)

Whew!  That's a lot of people!  And I know a lot more are watching, but since I can't see them, I can pretend they don't exist.....that's what the speech teacher taught us in high school.....pretend there is only one person in the audience, and talk to that person.

Well, thanks to the Senior Channel, I can talk to all the people, all over, that I ever knew, and wished I had told.....that I was......(swallows hard)  ....that I was gay.

There I said it.

          (Stands up taller)

Wow.....I never thought that would be so freeing......even though some of the people I'm telling aren't watching......because, they're already dead.  .....I wish I could've told them when they were alive, but....maybe better late than never.......and maybe they are watching......

I know I'm not a kid anymore, but since it's taken me a long time to do this, I think you might wonder....what does it mean to be gay?

Is it that you only love those of the same sex?  What if you had a spouse of the opposite sex for years, like I did....., had children, like I do.....and then come out, like I am right now?

Are you less gay?  Bi?  What does it mean?  Are we defined by who we love.....or how we love?  And why are we defined by that?

Well, I have news, I have no idea. (Smiles) There, that was easy.

         (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

But the bigger question is.....what does it mean to....be?

         (Exits to a new life..... with more questions)
    
------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8