Sunday, May 17, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #459 Always in My Heart by Janet S. Tiger May 17, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for (now over) a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or

     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #459 Always in My Heart by Janet S. Tiger  May 17, 2015

      This is a duo piece - but am putting it up in honor of Jeff Tabler's class - have made a few changes, please let me know which version you prefer!  This can also be a monologue - see below the duo.
  
                              Always in My Heart
                              A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com 



(Set – an airport.  A man and a woman enter, they can be 40s-60s.  They see each other and gasp.)

Together – Oh, my God!

HE– Is it…

SHE -………you?

HE– I can’t believe it…

SHE– After all these years….

HE– You look…..

SHE– …exactly the same!

                   (They hug)

HE – We were in that show together, right?

SHE -  What was the name…….

HE – Not Shakespeare…..but it sounded…..

SHE – British accents!

HE -  That was it!  We had accents!

SHE – The director was just horrible!

HE – Has it been…

SHE  -…….so many years?

HE – Ten?

SHE –Fifteen!
                                                                                                                                                 

Both – Oh, my God!….Where did the time go?

SHE – You’ve always been in my heart…

HE – I’m married…..(he indicates offstage)

SHE – So am I….(she indicates offstage)

HE – I have two kids…

SHE – I have three…
                                                                        
Both – Wonderful!

HE -  You look wonderful!

SHE – I had cancer….

HE  - I had a heart attack….

SHE – I almost died…

HE – I did die – for three minutes.  But they got me back.  It’s almost as bad as            dying onstage!

SHE – I’m so glad you’re OK.

HE – And I’m so glad you’re OK.

(Both look offstage toward their spouses.)

HE – My plane leaves in 10 minutes

SHE – My plane leaves in 5 minutes.

BOTH – Gotta go.

(They look at their spouses, the following is said quietly, so the spouses can’t hear.)

HE – We never should have broken up…..but I had to do that show out of          town…

SHE -  And I got that series……

HE – Wasn’t that the one where…..
                              
SHE – I was the sister-in-law….

HE -  Why did we break up again?

SHE – We were silly…

HE – We were stupid…

SHE – We were fools…

HE – We were idiots!

BOTH – I’ll never make that mistake again!

SHE – Here’s my card..

HE- Here’s mine…

(They exchange cards quietly, so no one will see)

HE – I’ll call you.                                        

SHE – I’ll call you!

BOTH -  You’ll always be in my heart!

          (They hug and separate, then head back to their spouses.)

BOTH – (mystified)  Who was that?


          (When they get to opposite sides of the stage, each looks at the card they have been given.  He rips his up and throws it out, she crumples hers and throws it out.  Then they look back at each other across the stage and wave goodbye.  Curtain)     

The end.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monologue version of ALWAYS IN MY HEART by Janet S. Tiger 
                               © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                                                                 tigerteam1@gmail.com 



                                                  tigerteam1@gmail.com 



(Set – an airport.  A person enters, they can be 40s-60s.   Sees another person and gasps.)

Oh, my God!   Is it……you?
 I can’t believe it…
 After all these years….
 You look…..exactly the same!

                   (Hugs other person)

We were in that show together, right?
What was the name…….
 Not Shakespeare…..but it sounded…..
             (thinking) we had British accents!

And the director was just horrible!

Has it been…….so many years?

Ten?  Really?  Fifteen!
                                                                                                                                                 
Oh, my God!….Where did the time go?

You’ve always been in my heart…

I’m married…..(indicates offstage)

You, too!

I have two kids…

(Listens)  You have three…
                                                                        
(Truly happy)  Wonderful!

        (Gives person a look up and down)
(Appreciative)  You look wonderful!

(Horrified)   You had cancer….I'm so sorry!

I had a heart attack….

         (Shakes head)
You almost died…I'm so sorry!

I did die – for three minutes.  But they got me back.  It’s almost as bad as            dying onstage!

(Listens)  Thank you....and I’m so glad you’re OK.


(Looks offstage toward spouse.)

My plane leaves in 10 minutes

(A little sad)  Gotta go.

(Looks in the spouse's direction, the following is said quietly, so the spouse can’t hear.)

We never should have broken up…..but I had to do that show out of town…

(Listens)  Oh, yes,  you  got that series……

Wasn’t that the one where…..
                              
(Listens) ..... you were the sister-in-law….

(Wondering) Why did we break up again?

(Shakes head)  We were silly…

(Nods)  We were stupid…

We were fools…

We were idiots!

I’ll never make that mistake again!

Here’s my card..

(Hands over a card quietly, so no one will see, takes a card in return)

I’ll call you.       

         (Looks at the card, then smiles)  
                               
You’ll always be in my heart!

          (Another hug and then heads back to spouse, stops, looks back.)

(Mystified)  Who was that?

          (Looks at the card, then rips his up and throws it outThen looks back at other person across the stage and waves goodbye.  Curtain)     

The end.



------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 

No comments: