Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 363 by Janet S. Tiger Too Much Feb. 10, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year! 
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 363 by Janet S. Tiger Too Much Feb. 10, 2015

                                                       Too Much
                                                       by Janet S. Tiger   
                                                (c) 2015     all rights reserved
                                                      tigerteam1@gmail.com


                (The woman enters, she is holding a broken string of jewelry)

I came across this when I was cleaning out....spring cleaning.  I am amazed I still have it!  It was my granma Ella's, she lived with us when I was a little girl.  I must've been, oh, four years old when I found it. Just a bit younger than you are now.  It may not look like much to you, but it is a true treasure!

No, I didn't steal it, dear!  You know that's not what grandma's do!  This was a treasure in a garbage pail......in my granma's bedroom.  I was waiting for her to choose a hat, which always took awhile because she had so many to choose from!  (Seeing the hats)  There were the ones with feathers, and some had very unusual shapes, and I would watch her try them on with the outfit she had picked.

It was like a fashion show, all for me!  She had gone into her closet, and, being four, I was a little bored now that the show had paused for a re-load.  No commercials, so I went exploring.  My granma had a small trash basket next to her bed, and I loved to look in it, to see what was being discarded.  There were usually pieces of newspaper, and tissues, but today, there was a treasure!

                  (Holds up the necklace)

It was just some old beads, but look how beautiful!

                (Drapes it on her neck)

And I could use it for so many things!  To adorn my dolls, or as a wristband for special occasions!

Then I had a momentous thought - what if there were more treasures in the pail!

I dove in, headfirst, and was amazed at how much junk a person could accumulate in just a day or two, as granma always had her servant lady, Rosie, clean the pails regularly.

But even though there were many odds and ends, no more treasures....there.  That's when I had the series of momentous thoughts....what if......there were treasures in other pails, that I hadn't found?  And what if.....in all the houses on my street.....there were treasures just like this necklace!  And they were being....horror of horrors!  Discarded!

And.....taking it several steps more.....WHAT IF......there were even MORE treasures elsewhere, throughout the city, the state....the WORLD!

             (She looks around, the largeness of this sets in)

It just blew my little mind!

And then, just as if God had whispered in my ear, I heard myself say....'So what?'  I can't find every treasure, every day.......and if I did, where would I put them?......perhaps, the treasure isn't the item thrown away....perhaps the treasure was....knowing I didn't have to save every single piece of garbage!  And that is why I saved this, as a reminder.........

             (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And that is how I have avoided becoming like my sister, your dear mother.........the hoarder.

              (She exits.  On to a new treasure.......)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

I loved this one...very visual. .. you're almost there!