Sunday, May 24, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #466 Fireworks by Janet S. Tiger May 24, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for (now over) a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or

     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #466 Fireworks  by Janet S. Tiger  May 24, 2015
                                                   Fireworks
                            A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com


        (Bounding onstage, the young man is staring at the sky)

Fireworks!  They're starting now!  Come on everyone!  I just gotta see them all!  There's the opener - looks like they started with the willow, and they're gonna follow with the spider!  Wow!  It's fantastic!

Yeah, those are the names!  It's not..(mocking)...the ones that go boom then kinda sparkle out as they fall down'!  Those are called 'horsetails'! Or sometimes waterfalls.    Of course I know all the names -I used to watch fireworks from when I was a kid, in Rockaway, Long Island, New York!  Every single night starting with Memorial Day until Labor Day!

And I could see better than anyone..... cause I was closer.  You see, my Dad would have me on his shoulders.....and he knew all the names, because he had had a job on one of the fireworks boats after he came back from the war.  He used to say, that fireworks were good, bombs were bad.  Fireworks made people happy, bombs made them sad. Remember that and life would be easier for me.

And it is!  My Dad got me my first job was as an assistant to the Display Operator.....it was  fantastic.  I even loved the smell of the fireworks after they blew.....but that's a hard job, lots of traveling..... now I get to do reviews for magazines about the fireworks displays, and which have better synchonization with the music, and whether Zambelli shows are better than Phantom Fireworks........it's like a dream come true!

It's like the fireworks are going off in my head!

        (Closes his eyes, twirls around, stops, opens his eyes)

Nope, they're real!  And I wish they would never stop!

       (He now shakes his head, watching with great joy)

And look at them go!  It's coming close to the climax, the finale, the end of the show when 90 per cent of all the fireworks are used!  Incredible!

       (He is almost vibrating with excitement)

Why can't they go on forever?

       (He practically explodes, then stops and takes a deep breath)

But they do.  They end.  And the video is never the same.......so I wait until the next show, the next season......And no matter how I try....the thing is...... I still haven't figured out how to explain fireworks to someone........

        (He turns to leave, stops, looks back)

To someone who's never been in love.......

       (He exits, smiling, coming back down to earth.)


-------------------------------------------

Fireworks info -http://mentalfloss.com/article/31097/names-10-fireworks-effects
------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8




No comments: