Saturday, May 16, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #458 Favorite Covers by Janet S. Tiger May 16, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for (now over) a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or

     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #458 Favorite Covers by Janet S. Tiger  May 16, 2015

       For anyone who has had -and loved - a favorite blanket.

                               Favorite Covers

                              A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (The older woman runs onstage, annoyed)

Where'd you hide it, Perry?  I know you took it!  You always do!  And you love to torture me by hiding it in some horrible place!

(Loud)  I will only ask you one more time!  (Even louder)  WHERE IS MY FAVORITE BLANKET!  And yes, I know we called them favorite covers, but nowadays a favorite cover has something to do with a song - yes, that's right, A SONG!  And the one who told me was YOUR DAUGHTER who loves all that crazy music!  So, once again, WHERE IS MY FAVORITE..... COVER?

         (She looks around, waiting, then, very slowly, she reaches into her pocket, drawing out a very ragged piece of very old satin binding)

(Sad)  I knew it.  You put it in the last place I'd ever look.  Or maybe..... I put it there.....does it matter?  I found it.......

         (She holds the remnant and sniffs it deeply)

Ummmmm, that delicious flavor.  I can remember lying on a blanket with you and drinking milk from a bottle, listening to Momma reading us some fable......Tortoise and the Hare....you called it the Tortured Hairs......and I was the one who got tortured......until that boy in school, Antonio I think his name was....he pulled my pigtails and you chased him and beat him up and when they asked you why you did it, you said, 'that's my sister- nobody pulls her pigtails but me!'.......

          (She rubs the cloth on her face reverently)

And the silky feel against my skin.....I used to hate when you hid this from me.....and Momma refused to get involved with the fight.....remember?.....she'd say we had to work it for ourselves because one day, she'd be gone, and all we'd have is each other......and that day came....and.....now, another day has come....one that we both knew would happen, but I guess I won this fight......I lasted longer, Perry.

        (She walks over to one side, touches something.)

You look nice in that coffin.  I'm glad they picked this wood, I know you used to whittle it when we were kids.......

        (She bows her head, tries not to cry.)

Goodbye, Perry.
      
         (She turns to leave, stops, goes back, takes the cloth and puts it with him)

Now I'll always know..... where my favorite blanket is.......

         (She exits, waving)
-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

So sweet—there's nothing like brothers and sisters!