Friday, May 8, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #450 Why So Long? by Janet S. Tiger May 8, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or

     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #450 Why So Long? by Janet S. Tiger  May 8, 2015
 
                                                  Why so long?
                                     (For V-E Day)
                             A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com

         (The older man is sitting peacefully, he has a cup of coffee which he is nursing.)

Now that's a question I've heard before a few times.  Why have I stayed married to the same woman for all these years.....

          (Waves his hand)

Oh, you may have phrased it different, you may have asked the reasons, what it took, to what do I attribute the long marriage......but however you say it, it boils down to the same thing.

Same woman, so many years.

        (He takes a swig of the coffee)

Some of these movie stars consider it to be a big thing if they last a year, five years they get an award, and if they somehow make it to 10, oohoeeeee!  They get a special event on television!

But me, I lived through the war.  We got married right at the end, after it was officially over, but I proposed on V-E day.  Because I had been through it, my young friend.  I was wounded twice, lost one lung, which I didn't need anyhow as the other has done just fine for all this time.....I'll be 92 in September.......and I can still breathe!

          (Takes a deep breath, coughs a bit)

Well, as long as I don't overdo it.......What was the question?  (Listens)  Oh, yeah, I remember.  Why Betty after all these years?

I'll tell you.... when you have seen the things I have, when you have started the day with 170 men in your troop, and you end with 31, somehow, when a woman annoys you a little, when she talks too much, or she buys something silly, or she complains about something you don't even remember you did 30 years ago........no matter what, you are glad you are one of the 31, and not the rest, buried in some small town with a name you will never forget.

         (He touches his eyes, takes another deep breath, and another sip)

Does that answer the question?  I hope so.  Because that's what we fought for, all those years ago, the right to decide who we will spend our days....and our nights with......and now, I have to go to take a nap.  So I can be ready to go out to Denny's with some of my buddies to celebrate V-E day.......we like to celebrate for all the guys who can't........so please excuse me.....

         (He finishes the last swallow of coffee, gets up, turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And I stayed because....she's still the most beautiful girl in the whole world......

         (He nods and walks out slowly.  Thank you to all who fought - and fight - for the freedoms we enjoy every day!)


-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 

No comments: