Sunday, February 8, 2015

Monologue Mania Day# 361 by Janet S. Tiger Certain Tea Feb. 8, 2015



Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year! 
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day# 361 by Janet S. Tiger Certain Tea (from Book of Teas)  Feb. 8, 2015

                                                 Certain Tea

                                                    (from Book of Teas)
                                                       by Janet S. Tiger   
                                                (c) 2015     all rights reserved
                                                      tigerteam1@gmail.com



            (T comes onstage and looks in a fram where a mirror should be.  She is still with a Southern accent)
I think this title would be better as Change Tea - but there is no such tea.
 And, from what I have learned in this life, the only type of certainty we have is that everything will change.
Except perhaps math, and you never know about that either.
That's what I told my algebra teacher in high school.  Mr. Hall.    
I hated algebra.  I knew that I would never pass it.
 
            I told Mr. Hall that there was no way letters and numbers could be in the same sentence,   it was not right.
            I told him I hated math, and he laughed……..and said (imitates) 'You use math all the time, T'
  (As herself)  How?
 You write stories, don't you?  The last story - how many chapters, how many           pages? 
 That's not the same.
To the numbers it is - numbers don't care if you like them or not, they just are. And there is a way of passing this class. 
And then he leaned in close to me..... I got nervous.  Growing up around animals, I thought I knew what he meant. I was right,             He wanted me to come over to his house after school.
(as younger self) I can’t do that, Mr. Hall,  it’s not worth passing the class for. 
(as Mr. Hall)   I just wanted you to come and help my daughter.
You see, Mr. Hall's wife had died givin birth to Mary, and he had raised her all by himself.
 She was 10 years old now and he wanted her to have a woman to talk with about, well, you know.
I think I blushed, because I had misunderstood Mr. Hall, and that was embarrassin.  He thought talkin about lady things was what made me blush, so he apologized, but I told I   would help, and I did.
Mary was only 6 years younger than me, but she was a sweet girl.. I showed her how to sew and bake a little.
One day, we were making cookies, and Mr. Hall was watchin and he said   'T, do you realize you are usin’ math right now?'
I wondered how anyone could take a perfectly fun activity like makin cookies and ruin it with math? 
Then he asked me how many cookies can you make with one cup of sugar in this recipe.
And I told him that with one cup you get about 20 cookies, depending on the size of the cookie.
Then he asked,   'what if someone asked you to make 100 cookies?  How much sugar would you need?  For the same size cookie, T, make it simple.'

Well, that is simple - 5 cups of sugar.
Then ge showed me on the paper -  1 cup = 20 cookies
                                                  ? cups=100 cookies
and he said that if you divide the 100 by 20, you get 5, and...and I was amazed, I did understand! I was doin math!  Just like in class, but I understood!   It was miracle - a miracle of the cookies.
And then he showed me how to use a square or a question, instead of x's and y's a that is what is so confusin.            Letters make stories - beautiful stories, I hated to see them all jumbled up with those  numbers!
And I tried, and, lo and behold, it did work.  I was able to pass algebra with a  D minus.  think helpin his daughter also made a difference.  But that was the best part - Mary and I   became good friends - we'd still be friends if she hadn't up and died.
Change.  Maybe the fact it took 1 cup to make 20 cookies didn't change, but Mary couldn't eat any more sugar cookies when she got  diagnosed with diabetes mellitus.   Why they have to put that mellitus in there, I will never knowl.  Diabetes is ugly sounding enough all by itself.
Change.  Who would know Mary would go blind from the diabetes, and trying to cross    the street in Atlanta where she lived with her husband, Travis, bein unable to see the bus  turning the corner, she was hit and killed.
That was a change.
Numbers may not change, but all the numbers in the world never prepare you for when someone's number comes up. 
 Certainty...Certain tea......
           (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)
 I guess that’s the one thing that never really changes......
           (Lights down as she exits, end of scene)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



No comments: