Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Monologue Mania Day # 1683 Out of the (Stuffed) Closet by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 25, 2018

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
Today is Day # 1682  To look at the other 1681 titles - click here
  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016  fourth year Feb. 14, 2017 Feb. 13, 2018  - now in year five - Feb. 14 - today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1683 Out of the (Stuffed) Closet by Janet S. Tiger (c) Sept. 25,  2018

                                    Out of the (Stuffed) Closet
                                         (for the Senior Channel)
                                               by Janet S. Tiger   
                                     c) May 24, 2014     all rights reserved
                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com

              (A woman storms onto the stage, she is motivated, and it shows)

(Very loud)  Hello to everyone in Senior Channel land!  I am so happy to be here today for my big announcement!

Is everyone ready?

              (She waves her hands at the crowd, getting them to respond.)

I am here to come out of the closet……as a hoarder.  

            (Points at someone in the audience)

That’s HOARDER, you idiot!  Get your mind out of the gutter!

I am a closet stuffer……and everywhere else, too, and, contrary to popular belief, I do not want to stop!  I am not ashamed or embarrassed or upset!  I love to hoard!  If I was rich, you would call me a …COLLECTOR…if I was a former President, you would call it a MUSEUM!  But since I am merely one of the unsung middle-class, I am looked down upon, laughed at….ridiculed.  It is even acceptable to bully me!  So here’s what I have to say to all of you…….(let’s out a mouth sound known as the raspberry)

There – I do not want to be helped or organized!  Do you hear me?  No 12 step program, no Hoarders Anonymous!  I want to be recognized for what I am – the fuel that keeps our economy going strong!

You heard me!  I buy stuff, but I also get lots of stuff for free!  And I buy things at garage sales, and get things when neighbors are moving…..and when I keep it, I enable many people to surviv!  How?  Because when I can’t find something, I buy more of it!  The grocer is happy, the clothes stores are ecstatic, and I….I like keeping things!

So what are you going to do to me?  Put me in jail?  I pay taxes – on everything!  Everything I buy, save, own and store – and now that my husband insisted I clear out the house, I support a local storage center!  I only have two units now, but that could change with the next big round of sales at the thrift shop – so don’t you dare judge me!  Your job probably depends on folks just like me, so quitcher bitchin and let me keep my stuff.  It’s my stuff, and since it’s still kind of a free country, I have the right to have as much as I want!

            (Takes a deep breath.)

And there’s one thing I will never give up – those baby clothes!  I wrapped em nice and one day, when my kids have kids, those clothes will go to those babies.  Because…..there was one thing I couldn’t hang onto – the first baby.   I mean, he was doing fine, but then two weeks before he was due, at the doctor’s appointment, no heartbeat.

            (Thinks back, almost seeing the items

We had a crib and all the clothes......

            (She reaches out to touch the items)

..............and when I touch those things, even for a minute when I'm putting something else into the closet....it brings back the memories...(in awe) ....it's like my own personal time machine!  Yes, we had the crib, and the clothing......but no baby to bring home.  You never forget some days.

            (She stands straighter)


So if I want to hold onto all that stuff, that’s my choice, not yours.  I may have had no choice with the baby, but I choose to hold on……to what I can hold onto……. And now I have a song, it’s even been on the radio…..I call it....The Theme of the Hoarder!

            (She holds her arms out wide, now sings, very offkey)

I……Hold……On….!

            (She puts her arms around herself, singing, and dances offstage.  The end.)
----------------------------------------------------------------


First posted   May 24, 2014 Day #101   Out of the (Stuffed) Closet Monologue Mania


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8       

No comments: