Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Monologue Mania Day # 1469 The Giant Thumb of Death by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 21, 2018

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
Today is Day # 1469!  To look at the other 1468 titles - click here
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1469 The Giant Thumb of Death  by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 21, 2018  
                                   
                                            The Giant Thumb of Death
                                               by Janet S. Tiger  © all rights reserved                                                                                                           tigerteam1@gmail.com

         (There is an actor onstage - me - in the amazing play of my life,  I look around, then I smile)

There it is.  The giant, enormous moth that fluttered around my head as I started to fall asleep
 last night.  I did not have the energy to do more than wave my hand at it, hoping it would not nest
 in my ear as I slept.

When I awoke this morning (awakened, woke up - who knows the correct words anymore? - there, I am becoming like the moth, flitting from one idea to another) Where was I?  Oh, yes, this morning.  I killed the moth.

More accurately, I saw the moth on a window in my kitchen.  I took my thumb and squashed it just like a bug.  Oh, wait, it is a bug!

I guess it was just a normal reaction from a person who is an accomplished moth murderer.  (See Moth Wars)

My thumb is large - although I have small hands for a person my height, my thumbs are wider than long, so they appear large in proportion to my other short fingers.  The nail is also wider, and it gives the added bonus of a miniature swatting machine.  These thumbs have killed many moths.

I thought about it, too.  As anyone who has read these monologues knows, I think about a  lot of ....unusual things.  What did the moth know before it died?  Was my attack a complete surprise?

Did it sense the giant thumb of death about to squash it?  Was there a moment of...'oh, no!  I shouldn't have landed here near the giant with the giant thumbs! Maybe I should take off!  Oops, too late!'

Or was it ready for death?  Waiting for me, because it knew - via the moth internet - that I was out to get it, and it was ready to go.

I suppose I will never know the answers to these mindexpanding questions, but another question came to me.  Where will I be when the giant thumb of death comes for me?  I do not want to think of this too much so as not to call it into happening, but if it ever has to come,  perhaps it will be fast, on a window looking out at the first  brilliant sunshine of the morning.....what a way to go.

    (I turn to leave, stop, look back)

How did I know it was the same moth?

I just knew.

         (I exit to a world with one less moth.....)
------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

                         

No comments: