Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 412 by Janet S. Tiger When Does the Day Begin March 31, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.comSome days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 412  by Janet S. Tiger When Does the Day Begin  March 31, 2015

                                                When Does the Day Begin?
                                                              (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                                                        by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2015 all rights 
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

         (The woman stands up, comes to the center of the stage, looks around)

You're right, I haven't talked in awhile.  Perhaps...I have nothing left to say?

          (She laughs and the others join in)

Okay, you don't have to laugh that hard!

Whoo...what's happened since I last spoke?  Oh, my Uncle Ted is going into a home......that is new.  Of course, it could a year...and in a year, who knows?  Maybe he will get better....

           (She laughs)

I told you, you don't have to not laugh that hard!   Yeah, I have to go through the VA - what a joy!  First the people go through war, then they get old and go through hell.....am not sure which is worse.

Here's the funny thing, I realized that...everyone knows, right?  That one of the signs for dementia and Alzheimers is not knowing what day it is.....but here's my question - what happens when you don't know WHEN the day begins?

Sometimes people talk to me, and they find out I'm caring for someone with Alzheimers and I can see it on their face, that horror.  Some know from experience.....others just know.  But the thing they don't understand unless they've been through it is.....24/7 means, there is no start..... or end ....to the day.

(Smiles, remembering)  After the kids went to college, before Uncle Ted moved in....and started declining.....boy I hate that term!.....before.....I got a fantastic job at....don't laugh!....Walmart.  I was a....greeter.  People felt sorry for me at that job, too, but I loved it!  I had a demarcated job!

I got there and punched in, and the job started.  I had specific breaks, and a whole half hour, uninterrupted!...for lunch!  It was like....a miracle job!

And, at the end of the day, I clocked out, and went home, and the job was off my mind until I clocked in again!  It was ....bliss!

No one called me to ask my opinion on the color of the carts, and no one asked why I hadn't purchased the right crackers for Ted.....why I was late, or early, or what I was doing......and every day, when I woke up, I knew that's when the day started.  No midnight calls, no midnight falls and trips to the hospital at 3 am......

Don't get me wrong, my Uncle Ted was always good to me.  He taught me how to play baseball when I was a kid, and when he moved to town, to be near me when Aunt Muriel passed, he bought a van for me, to help out, with the kids, and it could carry his walker to start, then his.....wheelchair.

I used to remember when the others would complain about Walmart, and, I know, they had things to complain about, but all I know is, I wish....I wish I could work there again.....I wish....I could know, when the day begins......

          (She sits down.  Spot on her, then blackout.  End of scene)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: