Monday, March 30, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 411 by Janet S. Tiger Roller- Coaster March 30, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.comSome days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 411  by Janet S. Tiger  Roller- Coaster  March 30, 2015

                                                               Roller-Coaster
                                                         by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2015 all rights 
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (An older gentleman runs, weaving through the crowd to come onstage, a bit breathless, holding a hat in his hands)

I just love the rollercoaster!  Ever since I was a kid!  My parents hated it, so I had to find another adult willing to ride with me - I would wait in front of the ride with a forlorn face, until a father with several kids would take pity on me, and I could ride in their car.

            (He beams, re-living, each memory with a different expression)

That first ride!  I relive it every time I go on another coaster!  I've been everywhere - to all the famous wooden coasters - the Mean Streak, ooh, they were right about that name! - in Ohio.....and Belmont Park in San Diego, with the salt ocean air hitting your face on a windy day!  The Cyclone, the Big Dipper...I even got to go on the Colossus in Germany!  That was only twenty years ago!

             (He sighs deeply)

But I'm not allowed to ride anymore - the doctor says my heart can't take the stress.

He has no idea what stress really is.  You see, life is the biggest rollercoaster.  It's got all the twists and turns, and scary, slow climbs until you get to that incredible point where the car drops down and gravity does its magic and your stomach falls...but it has something no coaster has....or will ever have....the final turn.  That's what I'm on now....the one where, it's the end of the ride.

And I'm scared.  I laugh and tell my family I'm ready, but that photo they just took shows the fear on my face.

           (He makes a face, it is frightening)

You see, it's scary, because....on a rollercoaster, you can go on again and again, as long as you have enough money for a ticket.........this ride, no one comes back.......no one can tell me what to expect......I guess, to quote some famous grafitti........death is the greatest kick of all....that's why they save it for last.......

           (He turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And I dunno, what if I wanna go on again....where do I get my ticket?

           (He exits, jogging slowly, holding his hat with both hands.  The end of this ride......)
        
----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: