Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 384 by Janet S. Tiger Charging Ahead March 3, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!   Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com

If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 384 by Janet S. Tiger   March 3, 2015
     
                                     Charging Ahead
                                                             by Janet S. Tiger   
                                                (c) 2015     all rights reserved
                                                      tigerteam1@gmail.com


             (An older man enters, he is holding up a battery, very excited)

Here!  I told you I could find one......

              (Stops, really looks at the battery, examines it)

Amazing.  But not much different from the first batteries back in the 1800s - my God, is that two centuries ago?

             (Listens, shakes head)

Honey,  that was a rhetorical question!  Of course I know it's two centuries ago.  I used to sell flashlights, remember?  I told you those stories....okay, a million times.....but you remember, the light won't work without the battery....and the battery has to be charged....

It's like me.....I've got a battery in here, inside, and it has some marking somewhere about how long it will last, and I can feel that energy is way down from what it was when I was 25, 45...hell it's down from when I was 85!  And that was only two years ago!

              (Scratches head)

So how old am I now?

               (Waves hand)

That's another rhetorical!  I know how old I am!  I was just trying to make a point, so listen for a change.

Do you remember when you were a kid.....and I showed you how, even when a battery was dead, you could bring it back to life?  How you called me Daddy Frankenbattery?

Remember.....

             (He 'shows' again)

You put the battery in very warm water for ten minutes, not longer, not boiling, just hot.....and then take it out, and presto!  That battery will have more juice for a few minutes, maybe even a few hours.  No one knows, but it's amazing how it works.

          (He puts the battery in his pocket, pats it)

Well, that's how it is with Colleen and me.....when she and I are together, it's like.....it's like... my battery is in ...warm water!  And I can keep going.....who knows how long?  Who cares!  But my light is on and I can see into the dark again, and I love it!  And if you can't understand, it's because you are too young....to understand love!

           (Listens, laughs)

Of course we're careful!  You should know your old man by now!  I always wear rubbers.....

          (Starts to exit, stops, looks back)

Everyone should wear rubbers.....when it rains!  What were you thinking about?

          (He laughs as he leaves, shining off into the future)



-----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



1 comment:

Eat My Words said...

Enjoyable reading. Now I'm curious about these characters. More?
Veronica