Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 405 iPhones for Peace (rerun) by Janet S. Tiger March 24, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.comSome days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 405 iPhones for Peace (rerun)  by Janet S. Tiger  March 24, 2015  


         This monologue was Day # 10 last year - and this year, just learned a fascinating fact - by the year 2020 - 80% of the world population will own a smartphone!  So maybe this idea can work- please pass it around.  Who knows?  Let's give iphones - and smartphones! - a chance.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated to my Dad’s friend at the Donut Shop, Veronica, one of the last ten people on earth who does not have a cell phone - thank you!

Day  #10    First produced at the Oregon AARP Vital Aging Conference Nov./2014

                             iPhones for Peace by Janet S. Tiger
                             (c) all rights reserved  Feb. 22, 2014 
                                    tigerteam1@gmail.com


             (A woman comes out onstage, she is older, but not ancient, very alive, and animated.  Some might call her feisty.  She holds up a cell phone, shakes it at the audience.)

 I’ll bet you right now, that everyone here has one of these…right?

And I’ll bet you that some of you have more than one – so that means, that in this room, there’s more of them, than us!

 Amazing – the machines have taken over already and we never knew the battle had begun!

 But since so many people love these damn things, I think we should use them for good – and in the precious search for peace on earth, I am going to suggest a way to achieve almost instant peace……internationally.

 Are you ready?  It’s simple…….hold onto your hats….better yet, hold onto your phones!

 The solution to peace on earth is…..an iPhone for everyone!

 There – I told you it was simple!  Let me explain…..

 Half the world has them already, and for the other half, can you imagine if all the billionaires got together and made sure that every single man, woman and child had an iPhone……what the world would look like?  A little scary?  No!  It would be ….fantastic!  Knowledge IS power!  It's hard to fool people if they can have the truth......in their fingertips......

  And besides, everyone would be too busy trying to figure out the crazy things - no one would have any time for war!

            (She takes her arm and moves like she’s about to throw something.)

 (Sounds like military man)  Hey, I have to throw this grenade…..(stops, listens)  but wait a minute….I have to get this…….(picks up the phone)  Whatta you mean, I’m out of minutes? 

 (Back to herself)  Already people don’t talk to each other – which is wonderful!  No talk, no misunderstandings, no war!

And think about it – if everyone had the same phone, there would be no need for learning new languages, the phone can translate!

 If people wanted to keep their other phones, that would be ok, too – the more phones, the better!  More phones, less war!

            (She goes into the audience, handing out papers, hears a question)

What about all the arms manufacturers?  What will they do?  I say, maybe it’s time for them to think about re-tooling …..how about plowshares?  Or timeshares?  Something less explosive!

 (Contemplative)  Years ago, there was a woman called the Peace Pilgrim, who walked all over this country for peace.  She touched the lives of thousands of people, maybe even millions…..

 (Back to feisty) That’s so old school!    Today I want to reach BILLIONS of people, so I channeled her spirit and that’s why now…. I am advocating…say it with me!.......iPhones for peace.

 And I hope you all join me – maybe someone (thinking this through) ….can design….. an ‘app’ for peace –  that would be ….I was going to say wonderful, but I think the current word is….awesome!

 So…..please join me in my quest for world peace – computer guys, have a hackathon to make that app for peace!  Or you can write to your congressman, your senators, your mother – she probably needs a phone! – and tell them how they can help.  But most of all, write to Apple and Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett and all those other rich guys - anyone you can think of to spread this idea…thank you!

                (She turns to go)

 …wait a minute, did I say ‘write’……..

               (She is now almost off the stage, she turns back, hits some buttons on the cell phone)

 I meant….tweet!

 Tweet for peace!  I like that……I think I’ll add that to the next flier…..

                (Looks back, raises a fist.)

Say it – iPhones for Peace, iPhones for Peace…….

               (She exits. The beginning of the end ….of war!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: