Friday, February 12, 2016

Monologue Mania Day # 730 The Day Will Come...by Janet S. Tiger Feb.12 , 2016


Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015
   *********           Today is the last day of the  second year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2016  ************
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 700!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 730  The Day Will Come by Janet S. Tiger Feb.12 , 2016 

       For those following, today is the last day of two continuous years of this blog - one free monologue a day!  Thank you for joining me on this amazing journey.  And tomorrow...starts year 3!
See you tomorrow.......


            The Day Will Come.....
                    (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                                ©Janet S. Tiger all rights reserved 2016
                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com        

       (Older woman stands and goes to the wheelchair, sits and crosses her legs leisurely.  Southern accent)

My momma always told me.....'The day will come.....

I used to ask her...'what day is that, Momma?' And she would laugh.  THEEE day!  You'll know it when it comes, honey.

And as I have aged, those days have certainly arrived.  Like letters in the olden days, letters you know have been sent, but do not know when they will get to your door.  So every day, you wait for them.  Is today the day you will find out if your Auntie Mildred finally married that no-good cowboy she's been pining for all these years?

Is today the day you ...win that prize you sent in for two months ago!

Is today.....the day you get the news.......what news?  Does it matter?  The day will come.....and it always does.  The day will come when the toilet paper runs out – because even though it’s a big fluffy roll when it starts and you never think it will be finished- why, look there’s at least half a roll left!  And then one day you notice it’s just a little bit left….and then you are running to that bathroom after eating more beans than you shoulda at the picnic and….the day has come!  No more paper! 

        (She shakes her head and then sighs)

And the day comes too….when…..a person’s toilet paper of life just runs out……and…someone dies......and suddenly....everythin' changes.  Fast.  Like a flood that happens outta nowhere....river risin' and the house is swept away.....But you knew it could happen, cause your Grandaddy built the house too close to the river!  

It didn't have a problem for years......fifty years we got the water from the river, and played in the river and fished in the river......but the day came and the river came with it.....

We know the toilet paper is gonna run out, and the river will overflow.....and we know people we love are gonna pass on....but we pretend that roll is infinite.....and there will never be a flood.....and...we pretend..... we are gonna live forever..... so when the truth happens.....when the day comes....when the roll is empty and the carpet is soggy!......(laughing)...it is somehow an enormous surprise even though.... we knew it was comin'!

But on top of those days are other days....like today. Today is first day that no one was in my house except...me.  The funeral is over, and the clothes and personal effects all gone through.  There was no real will, as my uncle, bein' a gambler most his life, had no money left.  His buddies - the few still alive and able to visit here - and my children all left to go to their homes with their children.  And the place is quiet....and I made my own self a grillch.......

        (She looks at the group)

You dunno what a grilch is?  My God, I thought everyone knew - it's a grilled cheese sandwich!  And it has to made...... just right.  You gotta watch it so it melts but doesn't burn....so the bread is brown at the same time the cheese is gooey, but not so hot's as to blister your tongue.  It is an art form to make the perfect grilch....an art taught by my dear old granny, and I have not had the time to make properly for over.....oh, I can't do the math anymore....for too many years....to make one just right....just for me.......

I made them for others- for my husband, children, grandchildren, parents....friends....for my greatuncle .....who loved them and just passed at the age of 92, and who will be the last person I care for- except for me........I made them perfect for everyone.....but mine was always the last....and it was either blackened on the bottom, or if it was perfect....by the time I got to it.....it was.....COLD!

Today.though....I made one just for me.  And I didn't do anythin' else except watch it until it was done.  I didn't wash dishes and I didn't get someone a cup of tea or breakfast, or check blood pressure or urine or whatever else I used to check!  And it was perfect!  And I had it with a cold glass of milk.  And it was....perfect......

          (She stands and bows as the others applaud)

Mmm.....and soon's as I get home.... I'm gonna have me another one!


           (Blackout.  End of scene)
-------------------------------------------------------------
******************
 And there will come a day when I will say - this is the last day of this blog......
But today is not that day!  Thank you for reading/commenting. See you all tomorrow!

------------------------------------------------------------- 

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8


Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

No comments: