Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Monologue Mania Day # 722 The Doubt of the Benefit by Janet S. Tiger Feb. 3, 2016


Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 700!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 722 The Doubt of the Benefit by Janet S. Tiger Feb. 3, 2016 

                              The Doubt of the Benefit 
                                ©Janet S. Tiger all rights reserved 2016
                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com        

         (A man in a doctor's scrubs comes out and kneels down, putting some small stones on the ground.)

Hello, Dad, how are you doing?  I know it's been awhile, but, hey, you don't have other plans, do you?

And....I know I can always count on you to listen without interrupting...... 

       (He examines the area)

They're taking good care of your site, here, and it looks like they just cleaned the headstone.  I pay extra because I know how much everything being in order meant to you.  A doctor needs to put order in the world......how many times did you tell me that?

A lot.....that's how many.  Whew...you probably know why I'm here......no, not the little nurse who was making trouble in the O.R....that's....been taken care of by a judicious transfer......it was not easy, but I took your advice .....cute and distracting is for bars.....not in surgery....

No, the issue today is....more complicated......

       (He takes out a small glass bottle from his pocket)

You know what this is......

       (He holds up the bottle and stares at it)

It is......life....

I've been doing this clinical trial for two years......  and we know that it works....we're pretty sure at least, the results are clearly decisive.....and so what happens?  The drug company gets purchased by some young idiot who decides this life-saving medicine is not a (snorts derisively) 'financially responsible use of company funds....' that there is a..'doubt of the benefits of the continuation of this trial....'

And so, I have only enough of this chemical left for five patients.....what's the problem then, you ask?  There are SIX patients who are in desperate need....and I...a father of three, have to tell one parent, that his or her child did not qualify to have a chance to live.......

        (He takes the bottle, looks at it again, holds it tightly)


Or...I could ......dilute the contents, thereby destroying the essential scientific validity of the test...tossing into a garbage pail over two years of hard work by dozens of people......casting doubt on the very benefit of the treatment…..but……just possibly save another life.....

         (Sighs deeply)

You always told me that a doctor is the person who is trained to make the difficult choices.....and I remember looking forward to the day when I could be the one doing the triage......making those choices....... but not this choice....not a Sophie's choice......That's one thing they didn't train me for........(listens, shakes his head)  ...Okay,  Dad....I will take care.....,I will do.....the right thing......as soon as I figure out what that is......and..... Dad...... thanks for listening...

        (He turns to leave, stops, looks back)

Maybe....like at Chanukah.....when there was only enough oil for one night, and it lasted for eight, maybe....just maybe.....this bottle will last for six, not five.....

        (He puts the bottle in his pocket and exits, head down, to a difficult decision)


-------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8


Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Another winner. This feels so real!