Monday, July 27, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #530 ( (two revised) Super Bugsucker! and Independence Daze by Janet S. Tiger July 27, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!

 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #530 ( (revised)  Super Bugsucker!by Janet S. Tiger  July 27, 2015

It was brought to my attention that the two monologues below had problems.                               
Thank you, Diane, for making me fix these up so they are (I hope) clearer. More clear?  More understandable?  I hope they work now.....who knows, maybe they belong together in some way.....

        
                                             Super Bugsucker!
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved                                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com

         
        (An older man comes onstage, but he is dancing around as if he were very young.  He is holding a present- a butterfly net - and he is very excited about it)

This is the best birthday in my whole life!  I was hoping for this, but I never thought I'd get it!  Thank you, grandpa!  You're the best grandpa in the whole world!  I saw this online and I just had to have it!  A super bugsuckerr!  Did you see it?

        (He holds out the net)

It has a vacuum that can suck the bugs up, and there's even a magnifying glass so I can look at 'em up close!  And a mini-microscope with a camera so I can send photos to a website to identify them!  And I could even make a bug movie, just like AntMan!

Have you ever seen anything so amazing!  And there's a book about bugs.... all about ......BUGS! And it has all the names in Latin and Greek and everything!

Oh, this is the greatest day in my life.....and I wanna thank you!

        (He goes over to hug his grandfather)

Can we go get some bugs now, can we, can we?  I wanna look at them under the microscope, and take pictures......it's just like.....I can be a real scientist now, just like the guys on TV!

        (He waves the net)

I think I got one!  Maybe it's a new species.......

        (He holds the net and looks in)

Maybe I could be a scientist.....just like you grandpa....

         (He holds out his hand and starts to walks off, stops, looks back)

Tell me about your Daddy again, and how he got you the butterfly net.......I like that story...it's kinda like watchin' youtube when you tell it....

        (He skips out, now a bit buggy about bugs)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

     This could actually be performed by a younger actor - the key is the butterfly net, which will connect him to the grandfather. 
      Thank you Bradley, for being the inspiration for this!



-------------------------------------------------------------------
 The changes in this piece are less evident, but a few lines were added.....

Monologue Mania Day #528  Independence Daze by Janet S. Tiger  July 25, 2015

                                       Independence Daze
                                  (for Senior Channel or Two Sisters - not sure yet)
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved                                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com

              (Daddy comes onstage waving a sword- one of the pirate type made for kids -and he is looking around wild-eyed)

Where is the enemy?  I thought I knew the enemy when I was young!  The enemy was....time....I hadn't had enough time to know how to do things....my aspiration was only to learn, to know....how to put on my pants, and button my shirt....those damned buttons were so difficult to get into those little holes!  And zippers!  Another hell!

Let's not forget the joy of shoes - why not go barefoot?  Why not sandals every day to school and church?  Why do we have to wear.....socks! which never go on right....and then to tie those damned laces!  How hard to we work to learn all those things!

(Quiets a bit)  And then we know them, and life presents a myriad of other issues for which older people, people like aunts and uncles and parents and teachers...all ancient!  All over 30!  Telling us we won't understand until we are......(says it like a curse)....OLDER!

And then one day.....we realize we are saying these exact same things to our children....and we watch and learn a bit more from them than from any other school.

          (He takes the sword and stands - carefully! - on a chair)

We have won!  We are the rulers of our universe!  We are old enough to tell others  that we have forgotten more than they will ever know!  And it is the truth.......and it is a lie....because we have forgotten it all.....

         (He carefully gets off the chair)

I used to jump off chairs with an umbrella, just like Mary Poppins.......now, I am happy that I can stand up from the chair....

But in my aging.....I have  made an important discovery.....

         (He brandishes the sword wildly)

......the enemy is still the same........

The enemy is still......time.....because time.....is never still.......
       

            (He pulls back the curtain, peers out)

Are you still there?  Time, you are no friend of mine!  Get away from my door!  

          (He waves the sword at the enemy)

And I thought once I learned to walk all those years ago my problems would be OVER......but now, a trip to the kitchen is a journey.... and my pants fall off when I forget to zip up after I go to the bathroom!  And I still need to figure out how to get my socks on!   I mean, intellectually I know how, but my feet are so far away!

And forget tying my shoes, I have velcro, and that is its own hell of attaching to things you don't want to get attached to!  .....

         (He puts his knees together and grimaces)

And buttons ......STILL hell!  Does it ever end?

        (He stops and takes a deep breath)

I guess it does....

       (He holds up the sword)

A useless sword...... to fight an enemy I cannot see....... in a battle I can never win.......

     (He turns to leave, stops, looks back, holds the sword high)
.......but maybe.....I want to see the grandchildren have their children, maybe I want to tell another generation......that I've forgotten more than ....forgotten more than.....how does that go?  Something about fighting on the beaches, and fighting......and

          (He mumbles as he waves the sword, then brightens)

... and we will never surrender!

         (He exits in triumph.  Another soldier in the battle against time..)





Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: