Friday, July 17, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #520 On the Block by Janet S. Tiger July 17, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!

 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #520  by Janet S. Tiger  July 17, 2015

          The original piece was called Around the Block, from Day # 34             This is from the perspective of the other character ......  

                                   On the Block
                                 A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved                                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com
                
               (This is a different kind of character.....the other side of the monologue Around the Block.  So it is not human, the character is .....a tree.  If possible, there is a spotlight on the tree to start the piece, and lighting used to indicate the times, seasons, etc.  The tree is small at start, kneeling with slowly opening arms)

Is it my imagination, or is everything in slow motion?

             (Looks around, waves arms)

Hello!  Hello!  Yes, I'm waving at you!  And you, and you!  Doesn't anyone hear me?  My other relatives can hear me, and all the birds, but you folks on those moving trunks....are you deaf?

            (Waves arms wildly)

This is gonna be a long life...........I already feel like I've been here...forever!  And I think it's only one day......hmmm, getting a little thirsty.......ooh, when are they going to water me!

            (Grows taller, sways)

That's a nice breeze.....

           (Starts getting wilder and shaking)

Wow!  That's too much, this is just ruining my leaves!  And I don't think I can get to a hairdresser anytime soon!

            (Shakes off body)

That was wet and wild.......maybe I can clean myself up a bit.......

              (Wiggles)

Come on capillary action!  I need some water up here in my head!

And get off me, stupid worms, I do not need your slime!  I wish I had been sown in a better yard, then maybe I wouldn't have all these ....these....bugs!

Wait, is that walking one stopping ......yes, she is!  And she is talking to ....to me!    (Listens, shakes arms)  I can't understand a word she's saying!  How could we ever be friends!  I so much want to have a different species friend!  But ....how?

           (Stands up straighter)

Oh, my goodness, I think she touched me!  With her wavy branches ...around my trunk.....And it feels so nice!  I think I have made a new friend!

For all you able-bodied animals, you have no idea how lucky you are to be able to get around!  I hear the complaints about cars, and planes and all kinds of odd things, but you have...you have legs!  How could you possibly complain?

          (Looks around the corner)

Is it starting to rain again?  Ooh, there's my friend!  She doesn't have an umbrella, so maybe she'll stop.....ooh, she's here, talking to me with that strange language!  (Listens)...  I wish I knew how to use that google human to tree translator program........I just am not computer literate yet.......

           (Spreading crown arching back)

Ooh, I feel so good......but my friend is sad.....she is not well......it looks....

            (Peers through the leaves)

........as if she has lost a lot of her leaves on top........No, she is definitely not doing well.....I can always tell from the vibrations......some things are the same in every language......I hope she will be better, I would miss her walks around the block to see me.......

           (Settling in)

I feel like I'm truly established.....my berries have gone away to college in many counties, on wind loans....and bird dropping scholarships.......my friend has been well for a long time, many rings, and her baby trees are all tall and only walk with her once in awhile....how I wish my babies could travel to see me!  .....

           (Waving around, violently shaking, one arm drags afterwards, cannot be lifted, then the other arm starts to drag)

Oh, no!  they're going to bring those doctors around to shave off my dead arms!  I hate that!  And they never have mirrors big enough for me to see how I look!  I hear them coming.....the noise is so horrible!  It hurts my ears....every cell in my pith is screaming!  And it hurts my branches.....I know I haven't been doing too well, but this isn't nice at all!  I wouldn't have fallen on that box next to me where the others live!  Oh, where is my friend!  Maybe she will stop them!

          (The tree is cut back to just the stump, sitting, dejected)

I am finished......they have removed everything except my soul, and that is now with my family throughout the world....wherever my seeds have propagated.....thank goodness that birth control is not practiced much amidst arborites........wait, is that her? 

           (Struggles to rise, can't)

Forgot I still can't move off this spot!  Oh, I wish she didn't have to see me like this!......but look, she's horrified!  She's got.....

           (Squints)

She's got water coming out of the holes in her head!  She's......sad.  I can feel that..... Oh, my goodness, she's coming closer, she's.....

          (Puts arms around)

She's hugging me........that's the word....I remember it......maybe dying isn't so bad if someone can love you so much.........

          (Puts arms out)

Goodbye my friend......we may never see each other again, but I will miss you......be well.....

           (Lights down on a strange and wonderful friendship that ended too soon)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who are wondering, here is an article about how trees talk and hear.......
http://www.livescience.com/27802-plants-trees-talk-with-sound.html
---------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8