Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #524 A Midsummer Night's Rain (revised) by Janet S. Tiger July 21, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!

 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #524 A Midsummer Night's Rain (revised) by Janet S. Tiger  July 21, 2015

       A friend convinced me this needed some alterations, so here is the changed version. (Original is  Day # 522)
                                                                   
                    A Midsummer Night's Rain(revised)
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved                                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com
 
       (A towel around her head, and another around her body, the woman enters with a cane)

Sorry it took so long to get to the door.....

It is such an annoyance having to use a cane in the bathroom!  But this one is waterproof, so I can use it in the shower....

        (She waves the cane around)

It takes me a long time to get around now. You think that you live in a place for 32 years, you know it.  But close your eyes, and it is a different world.....that's why I asked you to come over.  I would like to take a walk, and it is dark, and I do need a little help......yes, I know it's raining, I can hear it on the roof......

        (Listens)

I suppose I can put on a coat of some kind....I don't understand why!  I can't see anyone, so if they give me funny looks, I won't know!  But I do know you are squeamish about such things, so.....

        (She goes to get a bathrobe, struggling)

Please don't help with this!  It just makes it more difficult when no one is here....

(Quieter)  The tumor was barely visible on the MRI when they first noticed it.....you remember I had bad headaches, but nothing prepared me for cancer.

They told me that my vision could go at any time, but I never thought it would go ......(laughs) while I was taking a shower.

The funny thing was, I had just noticed something I had never paid attention to before......the water dripping off my head when I bent over.....the drops looked like...... strings of pearls....or rather....jewels...as they fell off my head towards the floor.......maybe it was the light that had just been changed, so perhaps it was brighter.....but I remember thinking....'oh, my, isn't this beautiful..... and then it faded out like the last scene in an old movie......to a blur......My last visual memory is of water.......in a most unusual view....appropriate I suppose in some odd way.......frozen in my memory, but always moving......the duality of life.....

Why am I telling you this now?  Because the tumor is growing, and there is nothing to stop it now.  No new drugs.  No new therapies.....no new ......nothing. 

So I am trying to focus on all of the delightful things I have enjoyed in my life, and you are one of them.  In spite of the fact we have been friends for so many years, I still like you!

I know, that, midst the laughter -which is like the chocolate - a never ending delight!, we have had some difficult moments.  Sleeping with each others husbands comes to mind.......but also the pettiness of all the arguments....the silliness of the competition for the same parts, the same admiration, the same men..... Somehow, with this inability to see, I can now see many things I  never saw before.....yes, that is a bad line from an unfortunately never forgotten play!  But it is memorable because of its ....dare I say it?...its truth.

 All the brouhahas.......all the troubles.....seem so completely unimportant somehow.  As if, the water washed them away.  How Biblical!  Perhaps that is why the Bible has lasted....not just because it's given away free in the top drawer of every motel room that we frequented in our youth.....

      (She shakes her head, laughing)

Anyhoo.......none of that silliness seems to matter now.  That final showery waterfall is emblazoned in my soul.......And I want you to know that if I can share the joy of that last moment of sight with you, perhaps, you can stop being so worried about every little thing that comes along.......

         (Listens)



Well, of course I’m full of crap!  But it’s a lot of crap, because, as you recall our dear director Sully used to say, (imitates) 'if you’re going to have crap, better have enough to sell it for manure!'

         (Listens, nods)
 

Of course I am going to die!  We all are, my dear, but the secret is in being happy until then.....

        (Listens, shakes head)

Crying is of no value, I invited you over because it is raining, so there are plenty of drops...come with me....let's take a walk.....and we can have a bit of a midsummer night's rainfall.....
....I just want you to see the raindrops.....for the jewels they are....

        (Turns to leave, stops, looks back) 

And I want to walk naked in the rain!  

         (We see the towel fall off from under the coat.  She laughs and waves the cane.)

I just don't want to be arrested.....

         (She takes the cane and exits.  Never the end of a beautiful summer rain.)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 

No comments: