Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #517 (for Two Sisters) by Janet S. Tiger July 14, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 500!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #517 (for Two Sisters)  by Janet S. Tiger  July 14, 2015

Trying something a bit different –am working on a one-act, and this is a partial scene – the top part is Pam and Lynn together, but the bottom is Pam’s words worked into a monologue.  Hope it's not too confusing, as it is not really a complete scene yet...thanks for your patience!

                                                  (For Two Sisters)
                  

                        (Bottom is)  A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved                                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com       


            (Pam and Lynn are in the middle of an argument)

PAM -  Do you think it's easy for me to be here, in this fruit-infested apartment!
            I have to tap into all my inner fortitude to not scream every minute of the entire time I am             here!
            There is the non-stop fan noise that means I can barely hear what Daddy is saying and      completely insures that he cannot hear a word I say until I turn off the fans, and then he          asks why I am screaming!   And let's not think about the phones, which I swear he turns         on and off just so that I go crazy figuring out which one is ringing! 
            (She goes to the sink and picks up two jars of mustard)
            By the way, what is with it with the mustard?  How many jars does one person need?  I    counted six jars – just one brand!  And then there are the delicacy mustards, which he            doesn’t even like!
            And I will not begin to talk about some of those loonies that Daddy calls friends at the     coffee shop!  I mean I realize he knew some of them from where he worked, but the          others, I mean, some of them are certifiable!
            I mean, they are!
LYNN - Of course they are, that's why he likes them.  It makes his life interesting, and that is the            entire purpose of taking him there.....
PAM -  Every day?  Why does it have to be....every day?
LYNN -  Because, like with small children, older people like regularity.....
       (they both giggle)
LYNN -  Stop giggling!  And the sameness, combined with the changes, makes life.....almost       bearable for them.......It sure ain't easy....getting old.....
PAM - If I have to listen to that silly woman, what is her name?  You know who I mean!
         (Lynn nods)
PAM - The one with that lung disease who smokes two packs...while we are sitting there!  If I     have to listen to her complain about how sick she is.....while SHE IS SMOKING LIKE A   CHIMNEY....I think I will just.....shove a croissant in her face!
LYNN -  How long have you been back, my dear sister?  Three months, four?
            You forget.....
PAM -  I don't forget - you THINK I FORGET, but you remind me all the time!
LYNN -  You SEEM to forget that I have been doing this for.....
           (She puts her hands up in front of Pam's face)
LYNN - Ten years!  Ten years!  You think you want to scream?


PAM - I know you’ve been Miss Martyr Pants for ten years!  Ten years! 

            Ooh!  Get out the Mother Theresa prize!   So if you think you could scream, go right ahead because I will be happy to join you!
            (Pam opens her mouth in a scream with no sound, and Lynn joins her.  They now put their hands on their heads like the famous 'Scream' picture by Munch and proceed to fall to their knees together laughing, still holding their heads.  While in this position, Daddy   comes into the room and watches the two of them before they see he is there.  They stop  as they see him shaking his head)
DADDY -  (Sighs deeply)  That’s my girls……

            (End of scene)



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As a monologue for Pam – (this would be a stand-alone, so she has some of Lynn's lines)

PAM -  Do you think it's easy for me to be here, in this fruit-infested apartment!
            I have to tap into all my inner fortitude to not scream every minute of the entire time I am             here!
            There is the non-stop fan noise that means I can barely hear what Daddy is saying and      completely insures that he cannot hear a word I say until I turn off the fans, and then he          asks why I am screaming!   And let's not think about the phones, which I swear he turns         on and off just so that I go crazy figuring out which one is ringing! 
            (She goes to the sink and picks up two jars of mustard)
            By the way, what is with it with the mustard?  How many jars does one person need?  I    counted six jars – just one brand!  And then there are the delicacy mustards, which he            doesn’t even like!
            And I will not begin to talk about some of those loonies that Daddy calls friends at the     coffee shop!  I mean I realize he knew some of them from where he worked, but the          others, I mean, some of them are certifiable!
            I mean, they are!
            And I know you are going to say…(imitates Lynn). ‘Of course they are, that's why he       likes them.  It             makes his life interesting, and that is the entire purpose of taking him          there..... (back to herself)  But EVERY day?  Why does it have to be....every day?
            I understand like with small children, older people like regularity.....
           (She giggles, then gets control)  And I can see….it sure ain't easy....getting old.....
            But if I have to listen to that silly woman, what is her name?  You know who I mean!
             The one with that lung disease who smokes two packs...while we are sitting there!  If I    have to listen to her complain about how sick she is.....while SHE IS SMOKING LIKE A   CHIMNEY....I think I will just.....shove a croissant in her face!
            (Listens, is annoyed)
            I know how long I’ve been back ….I don't forget - you THINK I FORGET, but you        remind me all the time!

            I know you’ve been Miss Martyr Pants for ten years!  Ten years! 
            Ooh!  Get out the Mother Theresa prize!
            So if you think you could scream, go right ahead because I will be happy to join you!
            (Pam opens her mouth in a scream with no sound, and puts her hands on her head like the             famous 'Scream' picture by Munch – she gets hysterical, falls to her knees laughing, still     holding her head.  While in this position, she sees Daddy enter and look, she stops and         rises a little sheepishly.)
            Hi, Daddy……I was just going….
            (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)
            Sleep tight!

            (End of scene)


---------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
  

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Works great both ways. I kept thinking, while reading the scene, that it would work as a monologue, but you did it better than I imagined.