Friday, June 19, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #492 Beach Bus Year by Janet S. Tiger June 19, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monologue Mania Day #492 by Janet S. Tiger  June 19, 2015
                                               Beach Bus Year
           
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com 

           (The woman comes out holding a bag ready for the beach, she is wearing shorts and a top that cover a bathing suit, and she is smiling,)

Oh, thank you for waiting, Mr. Bus Driver!  I am so happy to be getting to go to the beach!

          (Listens)

I know I have to transfer two times, and I appreciate you giving me the transfer......it's been awhile since I went anywhere on a bus, but since I can't drive anymore, I am going into my second childhood, and since a big part of my first childhood was going to the beach on the bus - I am trying to duplicate one of the best years of my life.

       (She looks out the window)

How much has changed!  There are so many houses, and no more orange groves......they had such a lovely smell.....

       (She breathes in as if she can smell it still)

My father was overseas, and we were stationed here.....and my mother loved the ocean, so, even though she worked all week and was tired, every Saturday .....we would get all ready, and get on the 'Beach Bus'.......Our towels would carry everything else.......including the peanut butter sandwiches for lunch....which we would eat on the bus going home.  We decided to do that because eating at the beach took away time from the ocean!  We would spend two hours going and two hours coming....all for three hours at the beach......

It was the most incredible time.....even if the weather wasn't good, we would head off to a different beach, one that had stores nearby.....until the rain stopped.  And when i complained that being on the bus got boring, my mother told me that being bored is a choice....because wherever you are, there is something to look at....and to learn.  Each person was a story.....what they had chosen to wear that day, how they sat, who they talked to, if they slept, or read a book or looked out the window.  Where were they going?  Were they nice, or mean, or a little of both?  Maybe you couldn't judge a book by its cover, but you could learn a lot....just by paying attention.  And there were always surprises....the man with the ripped pants and dirty shoes was reading Shakespeare and the lady with the fancy hat had a tag still on her purse.  Was she going to return it - or did she just forget?  I have never been bored in my life since that year!

      (She starts to wiggle a bit)

And then my father came back, and we moved to the middle of the country….Iowa.  Though it was nice, unfortunately, there was no ocean.  But the people…….I could see that the people had so much in common with all the people I had studied that year on the bus to the beach……

I suppose….. looking at all the people on the buses taught me my first lessons about human beings....how we are all different, and all the same......probably the most important lesson of that year.....

So now, I am returning.....

       (She looks at her watch)

Two hours.  Two more hours to go.

       (She looks at the people around her)

I think sitting for two hours was easier when I was eight years old…..

        (She reaches up and pulls the signal cord, gets up to leave, sways a bit and looks back)

Maybe I'll get someone to drive me to the beach....next week.....I think I need to get home and have a little nap.....Thank you, Mr. Bus Driver!  I've had a lovely time!

        (She walks off, calling behind her)

And please say hello to the ocean for me!

        (She exits, back to the present)


 ------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-83

1 comment: