Thursday, June 18, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #491 Not Alone by Janet S. Tiger June 18, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #491 by Janet S. Tiger  June 18, 2015
                                               Not Alone
           
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com 
         
            (This is a woman who is older, but still with great strength.  She may not be very tall, but she makes an entrance as if she filled up the room.  She has a thick, but very educated, European accent)
Yes, doctor, it's been over fifteen years.  I was amazed to learn you were still in practice.  Yes, I am as well as can be expected for 92.
          (She listens, laughs)

Thank you for that, but please don't lie, it isn't pretty in someone your age.

           (She removes a cigarette, listens and puts it away)

Such stupidity!  The companies, and their presidents make millions of addicts, but who is put in jail?  The addict!

           (Listens, nods)

Yes, a cup of coffee would be very nice.

          (She reaches for it and sips, puts it down)

A good blend, I remember my first cup.  Many years ago, in a cafe with my mother in Warsaw.

(Sighs)  Why am I here?  After all this time?  I saw the Nazis again today, taking away a neighbor of mine. .......All right, they're just policeman and firemen.  But they were there to remove an old man.....who had outlived his purpose to society.   John.....he is a simple man, not very bright anymore, he forgets many things, and he repeats himself constantly.

And he has no relatives....except a nephew who left him alone too long....because the nephew has to care for his mother.  

So someone called the police.  And they came with the social workers and all of the assorted others.....all doing their jobs.

        (Listens)

Yes, I know it's different than what I went through.  Do you have your notes....you remember how religious I am?  How I go to church every day, and use the rosary, and never miss confession?

How the nuns were so kind to me after my family was killed in the first days of World War II, and I have always sent money back to their convent.

Why am I here?  What didn't I tell you before?  A secret.  Everyone has secrets.  But I have a secret I have not spoken to anyone about, not even my priest.

        (She takes some coffee)

Secrets.  I watch on the news this man becomes a woman.  I am always amazed that I can still be amazed by what people do.  No, I don't care if he is a man or a woman, but on television?  For all the world?  These are private issues.

        (Listens, laughs)

Maybe I should become a man....at my age, it would be a great help to be able to stand up while urinating!  But no, I was born a woman, and so I will die.  My secret is much....deeper.

You see, when I watched them take John away, it brought back memories, hard memories.  I always wondered what happened to my family.  

        (She sighs deeply, walks around the room)

.  My family was killed at the beginning of the war....by Nazis.....but not from bombing.  They were rounded up, like John.....and murdered.  And I was safe and sound in the convent.....because I had blond hair and blue eyes, and the nuns taught me to pretend, and I decided to convert so I could have papers saying I was Roman Catholic.....so I could fight with the Resistance......

And the fear never went away, doctor.  I think we humans have much in common, people are always saying that love is the unifying factor, but I feel, that everyone is afraid.....we all fear.....something.  I lived in fear all these years that someone would find out my secret and take me away, too.

You see, my secret is.....that...I....I am a Jew.  

There, I said it.  For the first time in 70 years......I don't feel any different.  I am still afraid. Just as the last time I saw you, you have been of no help whatsoever.
        (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)
  But I am going to visit my friend John.  To let him know, he is not alone.....

          (She exits.  End of scene)

 ------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-83

No comments: