Thursday, June 11, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #484 Not the Wife (for Caregivers Anonymous) by Janet S. Tiger June 11, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #484   by Janet S. Tiger  June 11, 2015
                                       Not the Wife
                       (for Caregivers Anonymous - follows Day # 483)            
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com


        (Man laughs and takes the wheelchair, sits down elegantly)

Well, I can say with an utmost certainty - no one ever calls me 'the wife'!

But I am there, advocating, and there is a certain invisibility about being a caregiver....am I right or am I right?

        (The others agree)

That's why starting a relationship with....another woman, was such a difficult step for me.

But I'm not that old yet, I don't feel that old.  Except some days after I visit my wife, the days when I'm a total stranger to her.

My friend helped me when my wife was still home, and that enabled me to keep my wife at home for an extra two years.  That time was precious.  (Laughs)  I suppose I could think of it as a menage a trois, but my wife was never in bed with us.

Sometimes, I felt very guilty, I still do.  When I said 'I do' all those many ago, I meant them, and I was faithful.  Hard to believe a man in my position being faithful, I know.  Whoever heard of a faithful traveling salesman?

          (He shakes his head as the others laugh at him)

Maybe that's why my wife would travel with me!  But even after she couldn't, after the children were born and she was home and I was on the road, we'd talk every night.  Not once did I break those vows.  My compatriots begged me to go with them to strip clubs, and bars, but not I, I believed that it was wrong to do that to the wives.

And so here I stand, cheating on her, now, it's......six years.  Three of them with her right there.

Sometimes, I think she knew, and she even, I hope.....approved.

They do get along, my wife thinks my girlfriend is one of her sisters.....a woman who died years ago, but is now about 12, from the way they talk together.

Here's my question - what happens if my wife gets well?  If she comes back from the land of gone.....

        (He walks back to his seat, stops, looks back)

Or maybe.....if we're not too old, maybe that menage a trois will be a possibility.......
-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 



 

No comments: