Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #483 The Wife (for Caregivers Anonymous) by Janet S. Tiger June 10, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #483 The Wife  by Janet S. Tiger  June 10, 2015
        
                                  The Wife
                                         (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (She comes in front of the group with a look of complete contempt, sits in the wheelchair, then stands)

I can't sit in this - because I have to help the person who sits in this.  That would be, James, my husband.  And I, I am....(says this almost spitting it out)....I am....THE WIFE.

Who needs a name when I am already categorized as...THE WIFE!

Of course I have all the papers and the essential cards and the medical history because I am....say it with me folks!...THE WIFE.

         (The others join her and cheer her on)

If there's a mistake and we are late for the appointment because we are sent to the wrong floor, it's not the fault of the person on the phone who gave me the incorrect information, it is MY FAULT because I am......(whispers)....the wife.

And everyone expects me to know all the details about all the doctors and the future appointments and what medicines are being taken and what the complete Encyclopedia of Medical Terms is - in three different languages.....because I AM THE WIFE!

And the terribly frightening thing is....I do know all these things.....

The one thing I would like is if someone would just.....call me by MY name for a change.....now that would be a memorable moment.

         (She turns to leave stops, looks back)

Of course, the scary part is....sometimes....I can't remember my own name!  So when someone asks me who I am....I just say.....I am....

        (She raises her hands to the group and they join her)

THE WIFE!

        (They applaud as lights go to spotlight, then black.  Not the end of this little problem)
-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 



 

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Very touching. I like the moments of humor, too. Like life!