Monday, June 8, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #481 Clara's opening (from Wheelie) by Janet S. Tiger June 8, 2015



Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #481  Clara's opening (from Wheelie) by Janet S. Tiger  June 8, 2015
    This is from a full-length play Wheelie that will be finished one day
                             Clara's opening (from Wheelie)
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2009                                                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com
                                                                              

Act 1     Scene 1

         (The lights focus on an older lady in a wheelchair who is wheeling herself into position in front  of the curtain stage right.   This is CLARA WILBEY, in her sixties, and very lively.   She handles the
wheelchair well and is very excited when she sees the audience.)

Oh, thank you for coming.   I knew you folks from the Enquirer would be interested in my story, I just knew it!   And it’s a wonderfulstory, if I must say so myself, and it all happened because of me and my wheelchair and it’s got a love story and violence and sex - not at the same time, thank goodness, but it’s just the kind of thing your readers will just love!   And it’s because I read your paper every week, well, actually I read the Globe every week, but you publish that, too, so it’s your paper, really.  I mean, the Enquirer is a little too truthful now, if you know what I mean.   It’s kind of like THE NEW YORK TIMES, but the GLOBE , that still has all the great alien baby stories and....(pauses to listen) Oh, yes, I was just getting to the story.   This is part of the story, don’t you see?  I always go to get the GLOBE the very first day it comes out, so I have a whole week to enjoy it before I give it to the ladies at the hair shop.   (Listens)  Thank you, I like this blue rinse myself.  Mr. Wilbey used to say it made me look like a juicy plum!  That was before he passed, though, now he doesn't say anything at all....... Anyhow, I went down to the gas station market because it’s just around the corner from me and I can get there with no curbs to worry about.   And I was just rolling up when.........

        (She now will be enacting the story in front of a judge)

CLARA-
 And I was rolling up, and he just came barreling out of the door
and he smashed into me full strength (she indicates the collision with her hands) and I went crashing down and he went flying over me and he hit his head on the six-pack of beer and he was out like a light until Sergeant Thompkins arrived.

       (Listens)
(Annoyed)  How did it affect me?  Haven't you been listening?  I told you, I was so scared because he came barreling out of there and he smashed into me (indicates again with her hands) and....rolled over me like a barrel and....

        (Listens, gets annoyed)

 Don’t make fun of me Chester, I remember before you were a judge, from when you were a
little boy and you used to make jokes in church and you would laugh until you wet yo....

         (Listens, shakes head)

What did it cost me?  Outside of my dignity, which is irreplaceable......Well, I gave you the receipts for the repair of my chair, and the new sweater and the new....

         (Listens, is irritated again)

Mental distress?  Well of course I have trouble going to the store again, for God’s sake, I have trouble going everywhere in this chair!   Talk about a nightmare!    If this city would spend some money on ramps....And when it comes to eating out, well!   I could tell you....

        (Stops, listens)

But I have more to say....

       (Listens, a little disappointed, but also relieved)  

Well, I am getting a little tired.   Where’s Mrs. Rodriguez?  

          (Mrs. Wilbey wheels out, but stops before a young man and looks him up and down.)
Jason, I know you can do better.  At least if you’re gonna take something, make it worth your time, boy!  What is a six-pack worth? $2.00?   Didn’t they teach you anything at that college?  If you're gonna be a thief, make it a million!

        (She listens, get annoyed, she gives him a long look and he is finally embarrassed.)

What do you mean (mimics)  You're sorry things turned out this way'.....They didn’t turn out this way!   You stole the beer - you made this happen!   Thank God I wasn’t hurt or I’d be suing you and your sister for that house your folks left you!   It’s time for you to grow up!  Be a man!   Take responsi.......

          (Listens, starts to roll off, stops, looks back)

I guess I do have to be getting home - it's almost time for Judge Judy.

           (She exits.)

-------------------------
Am not sure if this will work as a monologue, would love your feedback!
For those interested in the entire opening scene, including the other characters -it's here below. 


Act 1     Scene 1  
             Setting - smaller town, mid-1980s - BCC- before computers/cell phones

(The lights focus on an older lady in a wheelchair who is wheeling herself into position in front of the curtain stage right.   This is CLARA WILBEY, in her sixties, and very lively.   She handles the wheelchair well and is very excited when she sees the audience.)

CLARA - Oh, thank you for coming.   I knew you folks from the Enquirer
            would be interested in my story, I just knew it!   And it’s a wonderful
story, if I must say so myself, and it all happened because of me and my
wheelchair and it’s got a love story and violence and sex - not at the same time, thank goodness, but it’s just the kind of thing your readers will just love!   And it’s because I read your paper every week, well, actually I read the Globe every week, but you publish that, too, so it’s your paper, really.  I mean, the Enquirer is a little too truthful now, if you know what I mean.   It’s kind of like THE NEW YORK TIMES, but the GLOBE , that still has all the great alien baby stories and....(pauses to listen) Oh, yes, I was just getting to the story.   This is part of the story, don’t you see?  I always go to get the GLOBE the first day it comes out, so I have a whole week to enjoy it before I give it to the ladies at the hair shop.   (Listens)  Thank you, I like this blue rinse myself.  Mr. Wilbey said it made me look like a juicy plum!   Anyhow, I went down to the gas station market because it’s just around the corner from me and I can get there with no curbs to worry about.   And I was just rolling up when.........

(At this, the curtain rises and we hear running footsteps and shouting voices.  A neon sign indicates the front door of the gas station market.   Mrs. Wilbey has now rolled into position.  The running feet burst from the door attached to a young man carrying a six-pack of beer.  This is JASON             and he is in his early 20s, not bad looking, but a little seedy.    He is looking behind him at the voices yelling ‘stop thief’ so he doesn’t see Mrs. Wilbey and we see he is about to crash into her when there is a flash of light and we hear the crash complete with screams and ‘Oh, my Gods’ and the bright light dims to show Mrs. Wilbey and Jason
are in a courtroom with Mrs. Wilbey on the witness stand explaining what happened.  JUDGE  GALLAGHER  is in his fifties and trying to maintain his calm throughout the proceedings.    
  
 JASON is with his attorney, CATHY ,who is also his sister.   She is in her late twenties, attractive, clearly upset about her brother and late for another appointment.)



MRS. WILBEY - And I was rolling up, and he just came barreling out of the door
and he smashed into me full strength (she indicates the collision with her hands) and I went crashing down and he went flying over me and he hit his head on the six-pack of beer and he was out like a light until Sergeant Thomkins arrived.

JUDGE -  Thank you Clara, but as I explained before, this is a sentencing    hearing, and what I need to hear from you is how all this has affected you.

MRS. WILBEY - I told you, I was so scared because he came barreling out of
there and he smashed into me (indicates again with her hands) and....

JUDGE - (Cuts her off) I know it must have been very frightening when he came
barreling out of there and barreled into you and rolled over you like a
barrel....

MRS. WILBEY  - Don’t make fun of me Chester, I remember when you were a
little boy and you used to make jokes in church and you would laugh until you wet yo....

JUDGE - (Cuts her off again, but this time with respect) Sorry Clara, but I’m just trying to get an idea of what this has cost you.

MRS. WILBEY - Well, I gave you the receipts for the repair of my chair, and the
new sweater and the new....

JUDGE - I mean mental distress, Clara,  Any nightmares?  Trouble eating?
Trouble going out to the store again?

MRS. WILBEY - Well of course I have trouble going to the store again, for God’s sake, I have trouble going everywhere in this chair!   Talk about a nightmare!    If this city would spend some money on ramps....And when it comes to eating out, well!   I could tell you....

CATHY - I think this line of questioning is leading the witness, Judge.

JUDGE - Of course I’m leading the witness, Cathy, and I think it’s time I led you
and your brother into my office.   Clara, you may go home now,

MRS. WILBEY - But I have more to say....

JUDGE - Not to me.   Thank you for coming in, Clara.

MRS. WILBEY - Well, I am getting a little tired.   Where’s Mrs. Rodriguez?  

JUDGE - I saw her go down the hall to see her sister at the desk.   You take
care, Clara.


         (Mrs. Wilbey wheels out, but stops before Jason and looks him up
          and down.)

MRS. WILBEY - Jason, I know you can do better.  At least if you’re gonna
take something, make it worth your time, boy!   Didn’t they teach
you anything at that college?

           (She gives him a long look and he is finally embarrassed.)

JASON -(Truly sorry)   I never meant to hurt you, Mrs. Wilbey.   I’m sorry
things turned out this way.

MRS. WILBEY - They didn’t turn out this way!   You stole the beer - you made
this happen!   Thank God I wasn’t hurt or I’d be suing you and your sister for that house your folks left you!   It’s time for you to grow up!  Be a man!   Take responsi.......

JUDGE - Okay, Clara, we’ll see you later.   Have fun watching Judge Judy.

         (Mrs. Wilbey leaves and Cathy and the Judge thank her as the Judge leads them to his chambers,       delineated as another part of the stage by lighting)
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 There's more - but this gives an idea. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
 

No comments: