Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #475 Turn Around (for Caregivers Anonymous) by Janet S. Tiger June 2, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for (now over) a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or

     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Monologue Mania Day #475  Turns by Janet S. Tiger  June 2, 2015
                                                Turn Around
                                   
                                           (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                      A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com 

           (This scene will take place immediately after Day #474, where the young man is speaking about how he wants his life to begin.  As he finishes speaking, he will sit, and the others will approach him and put on a wig that is gray, and a jacket that an older person would wear, shoes with velcro....until he is no longer young, but .....his own grandfather.  He stands and walks very slowly to the wheelchair, sitting with difficulty, then standing up, walking with a bit more strength)

I am not going to sit in that chair!  What do I need that for?  I can still walk!  I'm not going to be running in one of those marathons like some crazy old people do, but I can still get to the bathroom under my own steam!

My great grandson is a good kid.....but you hear only one side of the story.....his side! 
And all of you....

          (He indicates the others in the group and then the audience)

You listen to the other young people - and when I say young, I mean anyone under the age of 85!  You listen to them complain about how tough it is to listen to all my old stories.....well, so what?  They have no idea what it's like to be old!  Now I can remember what it was like to be young....don't let anyone fool you....it was great!

Now all I have is stories, and when I tell those stories, I can see it in their eyes....(imitates) How many times do I have to listen to this?'

Ok, maybe I'm 100 years old, and they come to talk to me about how I lived so long?  How am I supposed to know?  Am I God? 

All I know.....is that I wish I was 15 again!  I listen to people say 'ooh, how wonderful it must be to be 100....'  What a pile of hooey!  No one lies in bed at night and thinks.......Wow, I can hardly wait until I'm 100!  I'm looking forward to being old and wrinkled and have liver spots and can't drink or smoke anymore!  And all the ailments - mmmm, they sound so enticing!  And most of my friends will be dead and gone!  There's another bonus!  All those funerals I can look forward to - what a shangri-la it is to get old!

       (He starts to get tired, leans onto the wheelchair,s its heavily)

Well, that's it for my energy for today, folks.  What was that?  Three minutes of excitement?  A new record!

       (He wheels away slowly, stops, looks back)
One thing, I do love that boy....it's a pleasure watching him grow up to be a nice young man.....(thinks)  ....Payback......maybe that's why I lived this long....., I didn't listen to my grandpa, now I don't get listened to......maybe that's what he meant when he would tell me....what goes around, comes around.....

       (He does a spin in the wheelchair....reminiscent of his great-grandson, and wheels off as lights fade, end of scene)

------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8




No comments: