Monday, June 1, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #474 Turns (Caregivers Anonymous) by Janet S. Tiger June 1, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Monologue Mania Day #474  Turns by Janet S. Tiger  June 1, 2015
                                                Turns
                                   
                                           (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                      A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  2015                                                                                       tigerteam1@gmail.com 

        (The young man comes hesitantly to the wheelchair, sits in it and does a wheelie, laughs)

Sorry, I just love my skateboard!  I don't have a lotta time to ride....so I practice with the wheelchair at home!.....I know, this is my first time here….well, you know my mom, Brenda, well she  couldn't come today because gramps, that's her grandfather.....that's my great grandfather....he's having a procedure, and she has to drive him, and I don't have a license yet, so, she’s been trying to get me to come to these meeting….and I told her I just don’t wanna be there when she talks, and she told me I should come here now, when she’s not here, because….. it might help me....because I'm feeling kinda.....I dunno.....

       (The others chime in with adjectives that might fit....'rotten?' 'horrible', lousy....'like running away')

Running away!  That's what I'd like to do......but not like that guy from before, whose dad really died, I mean, that's not what I want.....I just want to be.....what I am, I wanna be fifteen for a few days.....without worrying about gramps.... and if he took his pills, or too many pills….if he can get to the bathroom without help…..make sure he doesn’t trip on my shoes!...Yeah, he’s the one…. he's a hundred now, it's really amazing, ever since he turned 100 in September, a lot of reporters come and the TV people.  They love him, and so do I.  I mean, he doesn't do a lot now except tell stories.  They're good stories, it's just....when I was about six, seven, eight, he'd take me out for ice cream and a movie sometimes, and tell the same stories. 

         (He takes the wheelchair and moves it around the stage, pointing at things)

 He may be a hundred, but I musta heard those stories a hundred times!  And no one comes from the TV to ask how I take him for a ride every day in the wheelchair, to give him, you know, a little fresh air. 

And I feel really guilty to feel like this.....(getting more upset) ...I mean, I know it's a blessing to have a grandparent, and even bigger blessing to have a great-grandparent.  And I love my gramps.....he's a great guy, but....I just wanna know....when does my life start?  I mean, when do I get to live, so I'll have stories for my grandchildren..... (in anguish)  When does it get to be.....my turn?

         (He moves the chair to the side, goes to sit down, lights down )


------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8




1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

He's so real, as is the emotion. . .very nice.