Friday, April 24, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 436 by Janet S. Tiger Return - Jeffrey's side April 24, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.  Some days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
-------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 436 by Janet S. Tiger  Return - Jeffrey's side April 24, 2015

                                   Return - Jeffrey's side
                      (from a play about an experimental Alzheimer's drug that might work)
                                                        by Janet S. Tiger
                                                © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                   tigerteam1@gmail.com

At first, I felt really bad about.....seeing another woman.  But Ellie has been gone....for a long time.  Her body is still here, but Ellie, she started going away about six years ago.  At first, I thought she didn't love me, then I realized what was happening.....of course, I denied it, a normal part of the whole process, but somehow, it's easier to be annoyed with someone you love than admit  (sighs heavily) than admit they are leaving.....but not for another person.

For the fact that, their mind is going.......not their body.

I had such trouble with that, but then, then I realized when I looked into her eyes, they were blank.  And she would wander.

Living in this house became like a jail, everything had to stay locked, with alarms, in case she got out...like a prisoner, a criminal...an animal.

So when I met Rita, I was completely alone....only I was busy all the time.  And Rita helped, she helped me realize that I...I was still alive.  And healthy....and needed another human.

And so we became close......lovers.  I never thought I could fall in love again, but, I hear that if your marriage is good, it's easier.

I just, couldn't grasp that Rita, and Ellie, could be in the same room, and Ellie, had no idea.

I saw the ad for the experimental medication.  What did we have to lose that we hadn't already lost?....They warned us it could be a placebo Eleanor was given, but we had nothing to lose....Ellie was already ....gone.

So we tried.  And they said the odds were against it working, because it was so new.  And it didn't work....not right away......so we figured it was the placebo......and then......

I asked Rita, what if it did work, what if Ellie came back?

Rita said we could jump off that bridge when we came to it!  And I agreed.  What could happen?  How could our lives be even more complicated?

But they can be - and they are.....because Ellie, who I once thought was gone....is now....coming back, a little at a time, but I am starting to see her in her eyes...(hard for him), and I......I still love her.....and I love Rita.....and I feel like a young man in the middle of a movie he didn't ever want to go see!  And yet, here he is, right in the middle.....only the end hasn't been written.....

          (He turns to leave, stops, looks back)

Or has it?  Maybe.....I just don't want to know.....

           (Lights down, end of scene)
      
-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: