Thursday, April 23, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 435 by Janet S. Tiger Return April 23, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.  Some days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
-------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 435 by Janet S. Tiger  Return April 23, 2015

                                   Return
                      (from a play about an experimental Alzheimer's drug that might work)
                                                        by Janet S. Tiger
                                                © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                   tigerteam1@gmail.com

        (An older woman walks on slowly, she is deep in thought.)

I remember losing my memory.  How does that work?  They gave me a new medicine, that I can't remember the name of......it had a long, very hard to pronounce name with x and z and ine and I think I'll call it alphabet soup, because it truly must have all the letters......

How can I remember losing my memory.  How is that possible?

And today, for the first time, I feel like, how can I put it?  I feel like.... me.

But....who am I?

I know.....my name is Eleanor.  That I recall.  I am married to a nice man, his name is Jeffrey...or is it Mitchell, wait, that's Jeffrey's brother.....We were married for a long time....(thinks)  we are still married I believe.   We have children....

        (She looks at some photos)

Lovely children....three of them.  And....there was one....

        (She touches her stomach)

One did not make it.

         (She looks around the room)

I feel like.....I am being born, but not as a baby, as an adult.

It feels like someone...(searching for the words)...someone found the plug and put it in the right socket.  It's as if....I could see the world, but not touch it, then something reconnected me....to the world.  So I can talk again, and it makes some sense, to others.......

         (She picks up a sweater, looks at it)

This is not my sweater.

          (She sniffs it)

It has ....another scent on it.....of another woman.

          (She starts to realize)

My husband has another woman here in the house.  Is she here to take care of me, or to take care of him?  Or both of us?

 What do I feel?  Am I mad?  Or sad?  Or happy that he is happy?  Because I know he wasn't.  He would look at me and there would be such sadness in his eyes, and I would tell him in my head how much I loved him, but those words did not come out of my mouth......

What would come out would be.........'Who are you?....Do I know you? ......Can I go home?'  When I was home.

I remember.....wandering down the street to Ellen's house, only she wasn't home, because she moved away 25 years ago......that's when I first knew something was wrong.  Because....in my mind....she was still there.  I could walk down and tell her how frightened I was about what I was becoming......

And now.....what I am now?  Am I me....or a shadow of me?  Or was the me I was yesterday the shadow and now I am coming back into focus, like a Polaroid developing.......

         (She finds a bottle of pills and looks at it.  She is very moved.  She picks up another, is almost crying)

I can read the label......I can read the label.....I remember looking at pages in books, and I couldn't understand them, and now I can.  These must be the medicines......they have all the letters!  (Reads slowly)  Rivastigmine (Exelon) and....
Galantamine (Razadyne).....all the letters!  I was right, even x, y and z!  

       (She puts down the bottles carefully where she found them)

No one likes when I put things back in the wrong place, so I'll leave them right here, where they were...only where am I now?  The Alzheimer's was taking me down the last part of the journey, now....I am well, but I am....really lost!

         (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

I am like a crew member on Columbus' ship - I have a reached a new world and I have no idea where I am, but I am happy to be here......on the shore....

          (Lights down, end of scene)


        
-------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8




     

No comments: