Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 426 by Janet S. Tiger For the Grace of... April 14, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.  Some days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 426 by Janet S. Tiger  April 14, 2015
             Thanks Jennifer......
                                For the Grace of.....
                                                    by Janet S. Tiger
                                              © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                   tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (The woman is ragged, weaving gently as she approaches, almost timidly.  She is not so old, but she looks older.  Her skin is bad, her clothing dirty.  She has bandages on her legs.  She is holding a box, which she puts down as she peers into the audience)

I'm sorry, but you look so familiar....did you used to live on Wyoming Street?  About ten years ago?  I mean, it's hard to believe so much time has gone by, but, I think I used to be..... your neighbor......Samantha.....everyone called me Sammy then....

          (She smiles sadly)

I thought it was you......you had the same car, but different license plates.....did you move? ....to Nevada?  Wow, that's hot over there......visiting friends is nice.....I don't see that many people from the old condo group......as you can see, I've had some hard times......

          (She steps back, horrified)

No!  I'm not begging!  I don't want your money!  I'm ok!  I mean, maybe not so ok, since I got divorced,  I live in my truck, but my truck is running fine..... my kids give me some money, and ...well, I'm here in front of Vons because....

         (She goes to the box and shows it)

Remember Grace?  She was always a good dog, a sweet dog.  Ok, maybe she barked at people sometimes, and ran after the kids, but she's old now, and she's....well, if I bring to the shelter, they'll put her down and I ...(hard to say it) .....I can't take care of her anymore.....I can barely take care of myself.....but, there's nothing extra for food, or a vet, so.....would you take her please?  She was a pedigree, you know, we paid a lot for her.......

         (She reaches in, pats the dog)

Yeah, the ribbon is nice, a lady in the store gave it to me when she heard what I ....what I had to do.

She said maybe a pretty ribbon would make Grace look nice, so someone would want her......

       (Listens, hangs her head)

Yeah, she's better trained now, and I know she would be a good dog for you....maybe I wasn't such a good neighbor, I shoulda picked up after Grace.....but I was busy with the kids, Mason was always gone in that truck, and it was tough, and now they're all grown up.....and......

        (Listens)

I understand....yeah, not everyone likes dogs.....I just remembered you always had a dog or two, and I thought ...maybe.....

        (She takes the box, turns to leave, she looks completely defeated)

Thanks for listening...... have a good trip home.....

        (She looks over, brightens up)

Hey, didn't you guys have that old van?  The one that was always breaking down?  Remember me.....I used to live down the street from you......

         (She exits.  There but for the grace of God......or in this case, dog..... To help the homeless, there are several local organizations - San Diego Rescue Mission , Homeless Outreach, St. Vincent de Paul and Salvation Army.  To help animals that need new homes, there is the Humane Society and Helen Woodward Animal Center
Thank you for helping.......)
---------------------------------------

Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Beautiful and heartbreaking. Some smart actress is going to love doing this one!