Thursday, April 2, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 414 by Janet S. Tiger Twitch April 2, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.comSome days - like today - will be reruns that are re-written a bit.  Hope they are improved!
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 400!

 
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 414  by Janet S. Tiger  Twitch April 2, 2015
                                                             Twitch
                                                             (for the Senior Channel)
                                                        by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2015 all rights 
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

           (The twitching is the first thing noticed as the younger man enters.  He is not bad looking, but the twitches are.....irritating.  He tries to control his hand by holding it with the other hand, but his head, that he can't stop.  He slowly gets a hold of himself. takes out a paper, reads)

 (Very formal, fast)  I am very pleased to be here today on the Senior Channel....

           (The twitching gets worse, he starts to get irritated)

 I, um, I'm sorry if you're upset by the twitching, but that's part of the medicine I take, so, live with it.

If I was older like all of you watching, you wouldn't be bothered so much.  Old people can get away with things young people can't.....like picking your nose in public.

          (He points to the audience)

I see you!  You're not perfect! Anyhow, I'm not here for nose picking, I'm here..... to talk about ....bi-polar disease.

And about that guy who crashed the plane this week.  He was a sick guy, very sick.  When he did that, and it turned out he wasn't a terrorist, then I waited to hear what people would say, and I wasn't surprised.  What he did was terrible, but I thought, what if...just what if, he had a stroke or a heart attack and the plane crashed because of it?

Then, everyone would feel sorry for him, too, because everyone knows a heart attack or a stroke is not your fault.  But your brain being sick, that is your fault.  I know because that's what everyone sees when I look at them.

They don't see me, they see a twitch.

And they wonder, will I crash and burn?  Well most of us with mental illness never ever hurt anyone.  I never have, except myself....I tried suicide.  As you can see, it didn't work..... I still twitch.

But I have been beaten up a lot, in jail, on the street.  It's not easy when your body doesn't work right, but when your brain goes loopy, then, you have real problems.

That's why I came to talk to you, seniors.  You are in the same boat as those of us who have bi-polar.  No one understands - it's not your fault you got old and can't do things anymore.  People tell me I'm lucky to have meds, and they tell you you're lucky to be alive.

If that's luck, I think they could use another word, don't you?

I want my luck to be the winning lottery numbers, not the twenty-seven pills I have to take every day so that I can stand here and struggle to find the words....and twitch.  The twitching is the bonus I get for being able to think more normally.

Bonus.  There's another word to examine more closely, right?

Anyhow, my goal is to get people to think about .....thinking.  What if you couldn't think anymore.....in a way others accept?  What if you got in your car and crashed it, just so you wouldn't have to think anymore?

If you're old, they'll assume it was your heart.....but what's the difference?  It's all the same body, right?

            (He turns to leave, stops, twitches, looks back, raises his twitching hand)

Twitch power!


           (He exits, twitching)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Right on! An excellent argument for equality.