Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1258 Just Add Water by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 25, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1240!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1258 Just Add Water by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 25, 2017      

                                Just Add Water       (c)
                                                              
                                               by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved 
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com

           (The actor holds a small pot with soil, looks around the room, places the plant carefully)

Here, I think here is a good place.

It needs a little sun, that's all.  And a little water every day.  Not too much, but I'll show this first day, then, it's your turn.

I know this is not the birthday present you wanted, but it comes with another present.....a story.

Yes, a story can be something like a present.  A story is a present from the past.

My past.

When I was little, my family was very wealthy.  Before we had to come across many miles to escape from bad people...to make a new life.

And when I was five, just your age!.....my birthday was a big deal!  Bigger than with (slightly mocking)...bouncy houses!  I got something that really bounced - a horse!  And many other beautiful presents.

My grandfather waited until everyone had gone home to give me his gift.  He had it behind his back, and I thought it was another animal perhaps, a dog, maybe.  But no, it was a small pot, just this size, and all it had was earth.

When I said that......he said, "Earth is all we have"  and showed me just what I now show you.  Every day for the next two to three weeks, and don't be disappointed, you must have faith, and you water this and you will see what happens.

So I did, and I was disappointed, because nothing happened.  Every day for a child is very long, but then.....one day, I woke up and I went to water the plant, and.....a miracle!  There were two sprouts poking through!  Where there had been nothing, now.....something!

And I ran to tell my grandfather and he said....'this is all you have to learn for your life - do what you have to do, and all will turn out well.....

You mean, all I have to do in life is.....just add water?

He laughed.  'Not water.....but hope!'

And so I give this plant to you with the same instructions......

           (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

The seeds?  They are the descendants of the plant from my grandfather.....just as you are mine....

           (Exits to a greener world)
       
----------------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: