Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1252 Seneca by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 19, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1240!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1252 Seneca by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 19, 2017 


                                    Seneca          (c)

                                               by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved 
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com

       (Belva Lockwood enters.  She is impressive - a woman to be reckoned with - both now and when she was alive.)

Seneca.  The population now in Seneca Falls is 6,681 according to the 2010 census.  Seneca Falls was incorporated in the year of 1831 - when I was one year old.

It is known for its water power, and several famous inventors,,,,but perhaps, it is most well known for a little convention held there in 1848, starting on this very day, July 19th..... a convention that had a now famous declaration.  

Women's rights.  Elizabeth Cady Stanton.  Lucretia Mott.  Jane Hunt.  Some of the most famous women did not attend - Susan B. Anthony was not there, nor was I, because I was only 18, and I, Belva Ann Bennett, was busy getting married.  

My husband died five years later, of tuberculosis, and our baby was only three.  I spent the rest of my life working - first to support ourselves, then to support others in their fight for fairness in the world.  Women, native American Indians, black people......I ran for President...you may not know this, but I did not win.  I was the first  woman to get votes.....and the first woman to have her votes dumped in the river.

Had Seneca Falls only been a place of water, had the first convention not taken place there, it would have been elsewhere.  But it was here, and the convention started a movement that we are still watching unfold these 169 years later.

So I ask all of you who read this to study the past, perhaps visit Seneca Falls - it is a beautiful place, made more beautiful by the history.  By the very start of something very special.

I was inducted into the Hall of Fame here in 1983 - but more important, I would like everyone studying the history of this great land to learn that the fight is not over when awards are given - the fight is never over until all receive a fair chance.

Thank you...

I may not have won the Presidency, but I still think I might have had a better chance if they hadn't dumped my votes into the river!  Thank Goodness you have computers.....so that can't happen today!

          (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

Can it?

           (She smiles.  End of scene)







---------------------------------------------------------
Seneca Falls was the site of the first Women's Rights Convention held in the United States, for more info, please click here , here  and here


----------------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: