Saturday, July 8, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1241 Tripping - again! by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 8, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1180!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1241 Tripping by Janet S. Tiger (c) July 8, 2017

Because of the difficulties with sending out this blog, I am sending out last night's post again to see if this is delivered properly at last- thanks for your patience throughout these technical difficulties!  (Readers - you should have received all of last week's posts in a big clump- happy catching up!)
  
                                        Tripping - again!(c)
                                        by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved 
                                                    tigerteam1@gmail.com

         (Actor enters, trips a bit then catches self)

 You know you're getting older when the only trip you get is to the doctor's office - because you tripped!
But....I remember my first trip, with my family.  I was......younger.  Much younger.  We were going.....away.  Something called....a vacation!

And it meant packing up and taking stuff and getting into the car and going for a thousand hours someplace, and it was hot.....no air conditioning in that car....windows down, everyone yelling, stopping at little gas stations, losing my brother Eddie at one.....losing me at another!

And then suddenly....we were there!  In the country!  Not with all the apartments stuck together, but an actual cabin, which we shared with some cousins, and we spent the whole summer there!  Or so it seemed!  The days flew by....that two weeks was over in a minute......what a long trip home....and then....the first day of class, I had to write an essay....what I did on my summer vacation.  Did I have a choice?  I wrote......We took a trip.

What I learned when I wrote those four words.  The weeks of preparation, the anticipation, the ride there which took a million hours and the ride home to the stuffy apartment, and all the in between of glory of discovering the great outdoors, of canoes, and bug bites and campfires......all captured in 4 words.....we took a trip.   How perfect!  How inadequate!

I was paralyzed with indecision - what could I possibly do to describe all the history - all the laughter, all the feelings in those words?  Yet, I could try....and so I did.  My teacher said she had never received an essay like mine - it was ten pages long, single-spaced!

        (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And that's when I became a writer....

        (Hope everyone has a wonderful trip this summer- even if it's just to the beach!)
                  
                                                       

----------------------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: