Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Monologue Mania Day #755 For the Love of Women (for the play Ben - in honor of International Women's Day) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Mar. 8, 2016

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015
                                                                                           second year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2016 
   *********                                                         third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 730!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #755 For the Love of Women (for the play Ben - in honor of International Women's Day) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Mar. 8,  2016 
 
    For other monologues from BEN - please see Days # 7, 142, 153, 189

                                 For the Love of Women
                                                (In honor of International Women's Day)
                                        A monologue from the play Ben by Janet S. Tiger 
                                  © 2016 all rights reserved 
                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (Ben enters, he is holding a couple of picture frames)

I just love how easy it is to take photos now!  Here's one of me!

         (Shows the audience)

That's a photo of a painting that hangs in the Smithsonian.  The original took weeks to finish in my time......... not a click like this....

         (He pulls out a camera and does a selfie)

There, I can send this to my two million followers!

         (He clicks the phone, smiles)

Done!

         (He holds another frame, looks at it lovingly)

I only wish....... I had a picture of my Deborah....when she was young.  The older ones never did her justice.....of course, they don't do anyone justice!  

I want to talk about Deborah now because I have ;learned that you now have an International Women's Day....March 8th   Now, I believe that every day is woman's day, because, as many of you know, I very much appreciated women my entire life....but I know that Deborah was, without doubt the most important woman in my life....after my mother, but in that case, I had no choice in the matter!

Now I have had many talks with women over the years - one lady in particular was complaining bitterly that - no matter how much she did - she could never catch up with all I had done.......and I said.....but you don't have a wife!

And that is why I am always quick to tell everyone.....I accomplished all I could only because I had Deborah as my wife....the mother of most of my children, and the woman who raised them all…..my partner, my friend…..my teacher in so many ways….

She taught me about frugality - I, who thought I knew all about the subject!  And she instructed me about the truth of slavery....for that I am eternally grateful....but more on that later......

She taught me about strength……She stood at the door of our home ...with a gun....to stop marauders intent on destroying......

And she waited for me.....waited and waited, while I traveled, and helped start a great country......and she only complained a little.....maybe not enough....and when she died, a part of me died with her.....

She did teach me one very important lesson -one I want to share with
all the women, everywhere in the world.....no matter how hard you try, or work or dream or want to......you can never catch up!  So stop trying, and focus on the one thing you need to do....this minute, this hour, this day.

      (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And know that .....even at the end....you will never catch up...but if you do it right, for all the years before....you will no longer want to!    

       (Lights down, end of scene)


--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.  






No comments: