Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 657 Darwin's String by Janet S. Tiger Nov. 30 , 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 657 Darwin's String by Janet S. Tiger Nov. 30 , 2015

                                        Darwin's String
                                                by 
                                        Janet S. Tiger    
                                © 2015  all rights reserved 
                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

           (It's big, whatever the man is rolling in, very big, requiring energy to push, and much larger than the man himself, who is no longer young.  He stops, looks up at the ball and wipes his forehead with a handkerchief that is very well used.)

I think that'll do it.....you can see it from the road.....

          (He runs to the back of the audience and nods)

Ah, yeah, I can see it.  Now what sign should I put up?  Or does it need a sign?

          (He runs back onstage and stares up at the object)

Whatever it needs, it needs a little house to protect it.....

           (He looks around, takes out a paper and pencil, starts measuring)

What is it, you ask?  It's my greatest achievement...oh, I know I seem a little crazy...but....

           (He coughs, takes the handkerchief and spits in it)

Sorry about that.....the dust from all these pieces of string gets into my lungs and makes me cough a bit.....they call it emphysema, but I just say....it's a cough.......and it's going to kill me, but I don't care, I am the first man to roll a ball of twine this big, and ain't no one gonna take that away from me!  No sir!  I may never have married, I may have spent four hours a day rolling all the twine into this amazing ball!  But I am the king of twine.....and that's how I'll go down in history.....and when I die which is coming up in 1989.....I plan to leave this 19 feet tall ball of twine to the town of Darwin where I live, and ........so it is my legacy.....

       (He stares up in love and awe)

Come on, we can take a photo together.......you stand right over here next to me.....

        (He points into the crowd and then stands tall)

Because I leave this giant ball of twine, the town of Darwin will not disappear....the town will survive and flourish because.............I may be crazy, but there are enough crazy people who want to come see this...just like you!

        (He holds his arm out and there is now a bright spot on him.  Blackout)

-------------------------
This is from a true story - http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200008/11_helmsm_twine-m/about a real......person......and a really big ball of twine!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: